Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,659   Posts: 1,481,498   Online: 1131

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Is this caused by condensation?

I'll make it short. I developed a roll of film and found weird streaks on some frames. I did everything as I always do, only this time I was in a hurry and grabbed the roll right from a freezer and held it in hand to warm it up. I attatched a couple of examples. Is that what it looks like when there is condensation water on film?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LuckySHD100Pentax(Scan-110904-0007).jpg   LuckySHD100Pentax(Scan-110904-0013).jpg  
    I like my film stirred, not shaken.
    Flickr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Do you use the "swirl" method of agitation when you develop or do you invert the container?

I use Patterson style tanks to develop and I used to use the little handle that you stick in the top of the tank and turn back and forth to swirl the film in the chemistry. I would occasionally get "comet" shaped streaks in my images when air bubbles stuck to the film.

Changing to inversion style agitation, turning the tank upside down five times within five seconds made this problem disappear.

Also, making sure you tap the tank on the table top after every agitation cycle will dislodge any air bubbles that remain on the film.
    I have a little habit. I always tap the tank three times for good luck.

I haven't had a single problem with air bubbles on the film since I started doing these things.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    35mm
    What kind of developer do you use? From Powder?

Shutter curtains have holes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Could it be static electricity discharge?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you for the replies, but I'm afraid none of the assumptions are true. I do use a Patterson style tank and swril agitation, but my tank aslo moves the reel horizontally (up and down) while spinning. I use liquid developer (Fomadon R09) so undissolved particles are not the case. And the camera I used has a horizontal metal shutter.
    Flickr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Almost looks like a light leaking thru the shutter when you are advancing the film.
    Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would go for light leaking thru the shutter also.

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm
    I'd take the discussion back to condensation. Isn't it possible that condensation water drops somehow magnified the light and caused overexposure, where the water was? I shot the film at EI 50, so it got quite a lot of light.
    Flickr

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I noticed that it is Lucky film - you haven't had any issues with the film before this? Could be a defect in the emulsion or possibly condensation, as you suggest.

By the way, the right one, isn't that the theatre in Tartu?
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin