Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,200   Posts: 1,531,492   Online: 963

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Images

Acros and Pyrocat HD

I recently picked up a box of Acros 4x5, and am interested in trying it with Pyrocat. Any general consensus on this combination? Experiences anyone?

Of course, I have to do my own testing, but could you recommend a starting point development time? I process in a Jobo CPP2.

Also, on a related topic: I have acquired (for free!) an X-Rite 810 densitometer. Are there issues reading pyro-developed negatives with this piece of equipment?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Moore
    I recently picked up a box of Acros 4x5, and am interested in trying it with Pyrocat. Any general consensus on this combination? Experiences anyone?

Of course, I have to do my own testing, but could you recommend a starting point development time? I process in a Jobo CPP2.

Also, on a related topic: I have acquired (for free!) an X-Rite 810 densitometer. Are there issues reading pyro-developed negatives with this piece of equipment?
    You are going to like ACROS in PC. for a normal CI do a 7 min development at 70 ºF. Of courseif you are going to use it for alt printing I would say up the development a couple of minutes. For scanning I guess the 7 min mark should get you started.

The 810 is a good densitometer, but unfrotunatelly it does not read UV. Use the blue channel readings for PC.

Good luck.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge
    You are going to like ACROS in PC....
    I'm not replying to that message, Jorge. I cannot get your tagline :[ "Art is not what you see, but what you make others see." - Edgar Degas. ] - to be included in this quote.

I'm semi-stealing it - if you do not object. It may be of interest over in Aesthetics.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I stole it from Lenswork, so feel free....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge
    You are going to like ACROS in PC. for a normal CI do a 7 min development at 70 ºF. Of courseif you are going to use it for alt printing I would say up the development a couple of minutes. For scanning I guess the 7 min mark should get you started.

The 810 is a good densitometer, but unfrotunatelly it does not read UV. Use the blue channel readings for PC.

Good luck.
    Is this development time the same in any size Acros film? I shoot the 120 and 35mm size alot and would love to develop it the Pyrocat developer I just got.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Melisa Taylor
    Is this development time the same in any size Acros film? I shoot the 120 and 35mm size alot and would love to develop it the Pyrocat developer I just got.
    I am sorry Melisa but I dont know, I only used one box of 8x10, it is a nice film but too expensive for me.
    It seems ACROS is made the same in all different sizes, unlike TMX films. All I can tell you is try it, just to be sure expose ACROS at 64 and develop. I think you will get usable negatives this way.

One of my students has been using acros for night photography in medium format. It is rated at ei: 64 processed in pyrocat HD 1:1:100 at 20 degrees for around 12 minutes. Constant agitation for the first minute then 5 gentle inversions per minute thereafter. No presoak is used.

This should get you close to a good CI for enlarging with a diffusion enlarger.

The results are very sharp at 20" x 20" and with nice tones + excellent reciprocity characteristics to boot. It does not stain as much as fortepan 200 or similar films but seems to stain enough to give some grain masking & enhanced highlight separation.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by matt.s.
    One of my students has been using acros for night photography in medium format. It is rated at ei: 64 processed in pyrocat HD 1:1:100 at 20 degrees for around 12 minutes. Constant agitation for the first minute then 5 gentle inversions per minute thereafter. No presoak is used.

This should get you close to a good CI for enlarging with a diffusion enlarger.

The results are very sharp at 20" x 20" and with nice tones + excellent reciprocity characteristics to boot. It does not stain as much as fortepan 200 or similar films but seems to stain enough to give some grain masking & enhanced highlight separation.
    THANKS For the info!

Ok. more questions... Why rate at 64? and would this info be the same if i'm using a condenser enlarger? (i think that's what they have at the college darkroom I print in--it's been a little while).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Melisa Taylor
    THANKS For the info!

Ok. more questions... Why rate at 64? and would this info be the same if i'm using a condenser enlarger? (i think that's what they have at the college darkroom I print in--it's been a little while).
    hey melisa - good to see you here. My general rule of thumb is to give approx 10% less dev for condensor enlargers.

I and many others find that most black and white films are overrated in speed and lack rich shadow separation & smooth tonality when rated at the box speed. Acros is quite overrated in speed as far as i am concerned.

When processing film to a higher contrast index for printing on azo etc there is generally a bit of a gain in foot speed (real speed), but with condensor enlargers, which need negs of a lower contrast than diffusion, I would be looking to rate the film at around somthing like ei:50 and maybe trying around 10 minutes processing time (12 for diffusion) with the procedure outlined in my previous post to get yourself in the ballpark.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin