Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,218   Posts: 1,532,209   Online: 908

Thread: Paper Aging

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Paper Aging

I've never printed before. I was given a box of Ilford Multigrade FB paper. I'm not sure how old it is. I didn't see an expiration date on the box. But the guy said they haven't done any printing for at least 5yrs. I think it was stored at room temp. Should I chuck it or will it be useful to learn to print with?

Thanks
    Chris

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Never throw paper out. At the very least it can be completely fixed and used for alternative processes. In any case you should try to print with it first. Also, benzotriazole will clear some or all of the fogging if it is present in the paper, although it will reduce its speed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I printed on some paper from early 1970s a few weeks ago, perfect results! It looked so good I have problem selecting wich picture is worthy for this paper.

And as MStat says, if it's not good you can always use it to some creative/alternative processes. Or pinhole photographing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think its perfectly usable, i have a 3-4 packet like yours, for almost 8-10 years stay unopened and in hot condition and when i try to print its complete usable, maybe lost a little contrast but thats all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have some old Ilford MG FB paper. It's over 15 years old and it has a very light grey fog. I hope your batch is in better shape.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    5 years isn't really all that old for paper. If it has been badly stored it might be a bit foggy or under-spec, but chances are it will be fine.

If you are a beginner, though, might be a good idea to buy a packet of fresh stuff - just to be sure you haven't got a problem with your paper. When you have your printing technique under a bit of control, you will be able to compare the 5 year old box and see how different it is.

I have paper that is over 10 years old that is fine... and paper that is 30 years old that is totally unusable... and some in between that is obviously past it's best, but, with a bit of coaxing... ;-)
    Steve

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes, benzatriozole or potassium bromide in the developer then, if still slight fog, (brief) Farmers reducer after ther fix. - David Lyga

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ive printed with Ilford fb paper so old that it has yellowed LOL still worked, but cant use it for anything presentable, unless for sepia toning or tea/coffee staining.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin