Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,573   Posts: 1,545,660   Online: 953

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

16mm BW Film Developer

I recently shot some 16 mm BW film in a Mamiya subminature camera. I believe the film cassettes were loaded with Eastman 7231 movie film. The cassettes are aftermarket and not marked other that BW 100 ASA. I searched through the archives and couldn't find anything about specific developers. The Kodak technical publication says use D96, but I'm looking for other suggestions/experience with developing this film before I strike out on my own.
    Thanks

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    7231 is Plus-X. You could with this http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe...4018/f4018.pdf

or the times on the massive dev chart.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For many years D-76 was the standard black and white motion picture negative developer. It still works very well.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks for the replies. I developed the first roll from the Mamiya in Rodinal and the film was totally black. Either the film is bad or there is a significant light leak somewhere. I'll have to develop some of the non-exposed film next.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Sure it isn't a Remjet backing which needs to be rubbed off after it comes out of the tank?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Negative Kodak Plus X 5231/7231 no longer produces about one year.
    Plus X even if was old, there are no problems.
    Best developer for Plus X (5231/7231) is Kodak D 96.
    Kodak Plus X negative 5231/7231 has no remjet backing that negatives Kodak color film for cinematography.
    As you have black film obtained with Rodinal, take a piece of film Plus X and one other piece of another film b&w and they developed together.
    In this way you know the developer.
    George

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks for the replies. I didn't think that BW film had remjet - I checked, and there's no remjet on the film. I haven't had time to develop any of the non-exposed film yet.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I developed some unexposed film from another cassette - the exposed leader was black and the unexposed film was clear. I must have have a light leak with either the camera or the other film cassette.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin