Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,481,968   Online: 927

Rom
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Impact of T° in the dilution of D76 powder ?

Dear all,

Does the T° has a big impact if not well controll when i prepare my D76.

I do not have a thermometer which goes higher than 40° (yeah, you know which thermometer i have ).

Kodak said that water has to be between 50 & 55°C, what happens if higher ?

Thanks

Rom

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm a relative newbie with home developing, but in the 2 batches of D76 I've prepared, I just set the tap to what seemed moderately hot and went for it. I've been pretty happy with the results I get developing several different kind sof b&w film. So my best guess is that the recommended temps are not critical values.

Shooter
    35mm

Temperature when Mixing

For powders such as D-76 the higher temperature facilitates mixing but is not critical. Just get it as hot as you can. As a rough guide 50 degree C water is very hot to the touch. You can keep your hand in it but not for long.

Rom
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks all,

Indeed I have warmed it till my finger feels quite hot.

Will developp two rolls tomorrow.

Thanks for your reply

Cheers
    All the best,
    Rom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The only thing that matters when mixing D-76 powder is that it all dissolves. I mix contents of pack to 3/4 gallon very hot water. My water heater is set to 135f so I just run straight hot from the tap. When it's all dissolved I add cold from the tap to make one gallon. If you are using distilled water, decant 1/4 of it off and heat 3/4 g in the micro to around 125-130f and mix, pour in the balance of the water when finished. You can use as soon as it's cooled enough, make sure there is no entrained air in the mixture.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Query - out of interest only:

Can you damage your D-76 by using water to mix it that is at too high a temperature?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good question Matt, you can try mixing some in boiling water and post the results for us.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Actually Rick, I can't - don't have any at hand, and I have enough liquid developers to tide me over for a while. But I was thinking about an XTol experiment ....
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's an interesting question I've wondered about regarding virtually any powder developer. I have always tried to stay in the mixing temp range recommended by the manufacturer. My naive assumption was that while hotter water makes it easier to dissolve some chemicals, if the temperature is too hot perhaps there could be some kind of accelerated or runaway oxidation taking place during mixing, particularly with certain agents like Pyro, Phenidone etc that oxidize quickly to begin with. I might be totally wrong though.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Chem 101 was a long time ago, but I think cold water can hold more dissolved oxygen than warm or hot water. Stirring the powder to dissolve also stirs in oxygen through turbulence, but if this process is shortened by using warm or hot water, less stirring and less turbulence.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin