Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,760   Posts: 1,516,076   Online: 902

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Okay... Show of hands... How many of us remember a high school or college chemistry teacher who drank his coffee out of a Pyrex beaker?

Or, better yet, how many of us have been chemistry teachers who drank their coffee from Pyrex beakers?

Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Chemicals that may contact the skin are one thing, but those that might be ingested are another. Even in trace amounts, you should NOT take any chance of ingesting photographic chemicals. Silver metal and silver salts are used as topical bacteriocides, but are poison if swallowed.

This is a supremely unwise idea.

Do not use any cooking utensil for holding photochemicals either. Do not use a cooking pot or measuring cup for chemistry that might ever be used for food!

PE
    All my photo stuff that is food-like (e.g. pitchers) are marked "Not for food/Photo only" with a sharpie.

I don't want them recycled and somehow end up in someone else's kitchen someday. I don't want to ever ask myself, "is this one that I used for photo?" (even though I don't use anything similar in my kitchen for just this reason).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    too funny ...

last week when it was suggested to keep photochemistry out of the reach of children because developer and fixer were harmful to one's health ...
    ... it seemed "kooky" ---- "children were being protected" = "nanny state" &c

now ... when an adult asks if it is ok to reuse fixer-jars for beer
    it is OK to say that photochemistry is harmful to one's health ??

too funny

I don't know what your point it. That conversation was pretty clearly tending towards respect for photo chemicals.

This conversation is trending the same way.

You can put your popcorn away.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We drank from pyrex beakers sometimes even at EK. But, we had dedicated coffee beakers and dedicated chemistry beakers. The company even supplied us with food and chemical refrigerators, and no food was allowed in labs, just office areas. Refrigerators for chemicals were modified for use with chemicals, as the auto defrost equipment could actually start a fire or cause an explosion. And, to prove it, they demonstrated how by blowing the door off a commercial refrigerator in the middle of a field.

So, don't store solvents or chemicals in a food fridge.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, my teacher's "coffee mug" rarely varied off the path between his desk and the teacher's lounge but, even if it did, it never went as far as the lab.

I often use empty food containers like snap-top margarine tubs and plastic milk jugs in the darkroom because they are free and plentiful. I can use them a couple-few times and, when they get icky, I can throw them into the recycle bin. There are always new ones to take their place.

These containers are always labeled with their contents but, most importantly, the path from kitchen to darkroom to recycle bin is always a one way street.

Nowadays, if you blew the door off a fridge, you could easily get 1,000,000 hits on YouTube!
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    We drank from pyrex beakers sometimes even at EK. But, we had dedicated coffee beakers and dedicated chemistry beakers. The company even supplied us with food and chemical refrigerators, and no food was allowed in labs, just office areas. Refrigerators for chemicals were modified for use with chemicals, as the auto defrost equipment could actually start a fire or cause an explosion. And, to prove it, they demonstrated how by blowing the door off a commercial refrigerator in the middle of a field.

So, don't store solvents or chemicals in a food fridge.

PE
    Oooh, good point.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Most labs in the microbiology field just throw away lab glassware after one use. It is much easier and way less expensive than designing and documenting and implementing cleaning procedures that will keep the FDA satisfied. I'm fairly sure beer is acidic and silver is soluble in acids, so . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    you could call the beer " blue brew "

http://www.google.com/search?q=collo...ed=0CBoQ_AUoAQ

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How much is your health worth?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I can't even get the tomato sauce smell out of a plastic bottle that had tomato sauce in it, despite soaking and washing numerous times.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin