Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,954   Posts: 1,586,010   Online: 675

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is unbelievable to me, a chemist and photographer. I feel like Alice in Wonderland!

Chemicals can be toxic for a variety of reasons. They can be toxic due to pH, or toxic due to biochemical reactions. For example, dishwasher fluid is mainly toxic due to pH. It can burn the esophagus going down to the stomach. Dilution or some vinegar will virtually eliminate the pH problem. Silver is inherently toxic and cannot be "neutralized". A strong sequestrant can remove it from the blood, but it is still silver. It is like caging a tiger. The tiger is still dangerous.

Now, as for Hydroquinone and Metol, these can cause liver or kidney damage if ingested, but they cause little damage on the skin. This damage is accumulative with repeated doses and can eventually kill you in a very painful way. And, it is difficult to see it coming and difficult do diagnose.

Please show some better sense! Don't be afraid of chemicals, but at the same time don't be foolhardy.

PE

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    You know I'm the guy who keeps darkroom chems locked behind chicken wire at the urging of a friend, Pediatric ICU nurse.

This thread struck a chord with me because my buddy in college, Jim, used to keep photo chems in Grolsch bottles. I helped provide the stock of bottles.

Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    buy a bottle capper and a few empties.
    Jim also brews beer. Bottle capper and clean empties is what he does.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Regardless of what you think about reusing containers, if you're bottling fine, homemade beer or wine, wouldn't you want to use the best containers you can get?

How many beer snobs or wine snobs would sneer at you for reusing bottles that you didn't specifically obtain for the purpose, no matter what was previously in them. I've seen people complain about the fact that a bottle of wine is stoppered with a synthetic cork instead of a natural one.

90% of beer and wine drinkers (beer/wine snobs) decide what is "good" or "bad" based on pure, irrational, emotional decisions and not logic or even whether it tastes good. The bottle, the label and the marketing guide the lion's share of the buying decisions and preferences.

I have personally witnessed people who claim to be wine aficionados drink "Two Buck Chuck" out of unlabeled carafes and LIKE it but, if it was poured from a labeled bottle, they would turn up their noses at it.

Personally, I am a beer drinker. ( Wine is for sissies! )
    I can't, for the life of me, understand why some people seem to love "Magic Hat." Frankly, I think the stuff is panther pi$$. Even so, it's got a fun-sounding name, the labels look pretty and they have a "really cool" website. It MUST be good! Right? Well, all of the kiddies love it so that just leaves all the more stout for me to drink.

Bottom line: It's all about appearances.
    When I made the previous quip about eating soup from a chamber pot, this is exactly what I was referring to but few people seemed to get it. (Does anybody still know what a chamber pot is? )

If you're going to bottle your own beer, I think the best thing to do is to get a crown capper and the supplies that go with.
    Last edited by Worker 11811; 09-13-2011 at 12:51 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, Worker. I know what a chamber pot is and hopefully others do as well. That comment made me chuckle when I first read it, but so true.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Baffling indeed. It makes me wonder if B.S. is BSing us... If not, it's such a stupid idea I can't even believe it.

One iota of sense would be sufficient to realize that this is a terrible idea.

See Greg Davis' thread about cleaning JOBO tubes to see how difficult it can be to remove all traces of something. Soap & water aren't magic...
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My wife works in a museum. On more than one occasion, people have walked in with large soup tureens, asking her to help find out who made them and what they are worth. They are absolutely shocked when my wife tells them that these "tureens" are really chamber pots. She often has to explain what a chamber pot is used for.

Thus, the reason for asking if people know what chamber pots are, anymore.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    35mm
    I have seen Grolsch bottles used by restaurants for salad dressing. I use Grolsch and other swing top bottles for storing chemicals but I do not then use them for food. It was disappointing for me to see that at some point in the last few years Grolsch shrunk the size of the approx. 16 oz. bottle. Now I can't divide a quart of solution between two new bottles without discarding some. I did order larger swing top bottles from a brewing supply company and the prices were very reasonable.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Worker 11811 View Post
    Okay... Show of hands... How many of us remember a high school or college chemistry teacher who drank his coffee out of a Pyrex beaker?

Or, better yet, how many of us have been chemistry teachers who drank their coffee from Pyrex beakers?

When I was in middle school, the whole class made tea in and drank from Pyrex beakers.

And those red rubber washers on Grolsch bottles are great for making sure your guitar strap doesn't fall off!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Please have more respect for your homebrew than to bottle it in a Grolsch bottle. Yuck!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    FOUR Grolsch bottles? Wow, that's a lot of beer. Imagine the savings you could have by using those FOUR old fixer bottles instead of buying new ones.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin