Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,812   Posts: 1,581,562   Online: 987

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    For those that don't know, Grolsch bottles are about 15 ounces, made of heavy glass, and have ceramic flip-tops.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Please change your user name from BetterSense to NoSenseAtAll.

What part of no upside, endanger your health, lose your friends, and spoil the taste do you not understand?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    This sounds like a good way to win a Darwin award...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The issue of food safety is pretty much cut and dried as far as I can see but I think the bigger issue is craftsmanship.

Most people here would have a stroke at the mere thought of spending hours to perfect a great photo only to have it stuffed into a 99¢ frame from WalMart but hardly anybody even blinks an eye when somebody spends his time, money, blood, sweat and tears to brew great homemade beer only to dump it into used bottles.

It's like hanging a crystal chandelier in an outhouse!

I'm not saying that you should go out and buy new bottles for every batch you brew but any good bottle, made for the purpose, can be washed and sterilized and used over again.

Have we entirely lost the spirit of craftsmanship in this world?
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    35mm
    hardly anybody even blinks an eye when somebody spends his time, money, blood, sweat and tears to brew great homemade beer only to dump it into used bottles.
    I don't think I have ever used new bottles to bottle beer. I'm not even sure the bottles of the commercial beer that I buy are "new". I suspect they are returned and refilled, and there is nothing wrong with that.

I'm not saying that you should go out and buy new bottles for every batch you brew but any good bottle, made for the purpose, can be washed and sterilized and used over again.
    If "any good bottle can be wash, sterilized and used over and over again", why not Grolsch bottles? They are very good bottles, maybe the ultimate bottle for homebrewing. They are made of very thick glass, have ceramic reusable flip tops, and they hold 15.5 oz so they fill up a pint glass. They are my favorite out of all my bottles. I can't see the sense in throwing these bottles away. It would be a waste. My procedure is to hand-wash the bottles with a bottle brush, inspect them in front of a lamp for debris, and wash them in my dishwasher under the "sterilize" setting. I then dunk them in sanitizer solution before filling. After I put a new gasket on them, I'm sure any leftover fixer will be long gone, or reduced to ppm levels, by that point.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't get it. Since you are obviously set in your decision, why even ask us the question? The answer is near unanimously against your idea, yet you seem to have known exactly what you were going to do from the start. What a waste of everyone's time trying to talk some common sense into you!

Nothing against Grolsch bottles for your brew. But why those particular FOUR bottles? Go buy some more beer! Get drunk! And/or get your friends drunk! Save the bottles! Or not. Knock yourself out with your plan. I am sure you will live, but it is completely nonsensical. This thread was just silly to start, but now it is pointless.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 09-15-2011 at 12:23 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Washing and sterilizing is NOT going to easily remove silver deposits. Unless you give them at least a nice 24 hour soak in muriatic acid available at your local homedespot.
    Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-D659 View Post
    Washing and sterilizing is NOT going to easily remove silver deposits. Unless you give them at least a nice 24 hour soak in muriatic acid available at your local homedespot.
    ...and spend as much on a bottle of acid as you will spend on a brand new 4 pack of Grolsch! And have to have the stuff sitting around in your house in a vat as you soak the bottles...and have to go buy new gaskets for the bottles...and put a bottle of hydrochloric acid into the sewer unnecessarily. It is utter nonsense. I cannot believe the response of the OP. This really needs to go to the Soap Box IMNSHO.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 09-15-2011 at 12:27 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    After I put a new gasket on them, I'm sure any leftover fixer will be long gone, or reduced to ppm levels, by that point.
    Are you capable of reading English and comprehending it? You have been told several times in this thread that there will be no leftover fixer and that is not the issue! There are several other issues, including silver deposits on the walls of the bottles and whether or not you want to keep your friends. Yet you completely ignore all of them and respond to your chosen issue.

You came here ostensibly to get advice, but the real result is that you are here to prove to everyone that you are so smart and know better than 97% of the respondents to this thread who have strongly counselled you to abandon your idea and given excellent reasons.

Read, comprehend, recycle the glass. This is not a case for re-use.
    Last edited by Monito; 09-15-2011 at 12:38 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I do not know about the rest of you, but to me this thread is like have having a logical discussion with my ex-wife!
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin