Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,849   Posts: 1,582,845   Online: 709

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Crawley also notes the metol only FX-1 is not as good as the metol-glycin FX-2 in some respects:
    "FX-2 gives a less evened-up picture-not so engraving like-with better retention of faint contrasts,and is also to be used as a stand developer;grain is a little finer....with no real fall off in sharpness and definition..."

The variation of 7g glycin and 2g metol pH 7.5 might give more speed if there was some development in the first bath,eg increase the pH to activate the glycin.It has roughly the same ratio of glycin to metol as FX-2.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Germain...

750cc water
    7g metol
    70g sodium sulfite
    7g paraphenylenediamine
    7g glycin
    water to 1 liter

Use stock to develop film.

Some ridicule this formula and point to the Edwal formulae but this one really works...

Shooter
    35mm
    oh. you right - metol and glycin isn't superadditive. but still open question why Lowe mix metol with glycin at pH 7.4? from prev posted here graph glycin can't working at this pH!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Johnson View Post
    The variation of 7g glycin and 2g metol pH 7.5 might give more speed if there was some development in the first bath,eg increase the pH to activate the glycin.It has roughly the same ratio of glycin to metol as FX-2.
    this other way and I think that its not for two bath. may be for some stock dev like 7g glycin + 2g metol + kodalk + 30-50g sulfite
    now I'm more interesting use glycin in superadditive combination. from theory must be additive:
    1) glycin+pyrogallol
    2) glycin+ascorbic acid
    3) glycin+pyrocatechin
    4) and of course glycin+hydroquinone
    maybe (2) and (3) will be interesting at pH 9-9.5 (TEA/Kodalk).

glycin+phenidone isn't additive (from theory). but in russian community well known "phenyglin" formula as the best choice for push more than one stops:

Sodium Sulphite 90 grams
    Sodium Carbonate 2 grams
    Borax 2 grams
    Glycin 5 grams
    Phenidone 0.2 gram
    Water 1000 ml

I found reference that this formula really from Ilford, but haven't name
    Last edited by Relayer; 09-13-2011 at 06:29 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    wow! Anchell in "The darkroom cookbook" state that phenidone+glycin is superadditive (see p.47)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Relayer View Post
    wow! Anchell in "The darkroom cookbook" state that phenidone+glycin is superadditive (see p.47)

It was the basis of one of Ilfords developers, Ilfosol, but there's poor keeping qualities.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Ian, see patent US3778267 - modified POTA developer with glycin. same state that phenidon+glycin make superadditivity combination
    I haven't Mason, but found reference that:
    at page 29 of Mason in which one of the developing agent is not of the dihydroxybenzene type, that is the case of the Phenidone/Glycin system
    pls check this statement if possible
    Last edited by Relayer; 09-15-2011 at 04:18 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    relayer

have you tried your glycin processed with it at 72ºF ( 22.2ºC )
    you might find that it works better at warmer temps.

john

Shooter
    35mm
    I think that high temperature for bw processing isn't good idea. next step in 2bath experiment maybe phenidon+glycin "true 2bath" (no developing in bath A)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Relayer View Post
    I think that high temperature for bw processing isn't good idea. next step in 2bath experiment maybe phenidon+glycin "true 2bath" (no developing in bath A)
    whatever works for you ...

i've used ansco 130 or its evil twin for film off and on since the mid 1990s
    always at 72F ... never had trouble ..

( 72 really isn't a high temperature ... )

good luck !

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin