Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,928   Posts: 1,585,216   Online: 782

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    some time ago I found true ascorbic acid developers in book related to holography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Based on what I've read (no personal experience) ascorbate needs a relatively high pH to be in the range of a "normal" developer and you most likely need sodium hydroxide for it. The problem is that once you get high enough pH to get decent activity you get quite a bit of grain. Perhaps adding sulfite would help the grain situation.

From a practical perspective it may not be worth using ascorbate alone as you can get much more activity at a lower pH (finer grain) by adding something like Phenidone or Metol. For example 20g borax + 6g ascorbic acid + 0.15g phenidone in 1L makes a good relatively fine grain re-usable developer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post

Re PC-TEA, I've never been clear on its working properties. It has no sulfite, yet Gainer claimed it to be extremely fine grained.
    It certainly is - I liken it to the good off-spring of a marriage between Rodinal and Xtol. Fine grain, long life, excellent sharpness, economical.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I'm regularly using PC-Glycol. I use antifreeze for the glycol, the Sierra green stuff. Yes it has more than just Propylene Glycol, but my film doesn't seem to care. Works great for me, negs look good, the concentrate lasts as long as I need it to. I can't really comment on its graininess or lack thereof. I tried it as a paper developer once, double strength, added some potassium bromide. All good.
    ---
    mike rosenlof
    louisville colorado usa

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ascorbic acid only developers tend not only to be somewhat slow but also quite contrasty and generally ugly. You can always try, of course. Try modifying an hydroquinone only formula. Phenidone and metol both work well in combination with ascorbic acid, however.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin