Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,548   Posts: 1,573,030   Online: 847

Shooter
    35mm

panthermic B&W film developers

Anyone know of any panthermic (not fussy about temperature) B&W film developers currently available commercially besides Diafine?

AB55 and 777 seem to be history (as commercial products) as far as I can tell.

I've heard of a developer called DiLUXOL ULTRA FINE which I think may be panthermic but I know next to nothing nothing about it. Anyone know?

Published formulas would be fine too if anyone knows of any.

Shooter
    35mm
    777 is still available from BPI (Bluegrass packaging).

Shooter
    35mm
    ^ Thanks. I couldn't find pricing/ordering info for BPI but I see that Photographers Formulary carries it.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BobD View Post
    ^ Thanks. I couldn't find pricing/ordering info for BPI but I see that Photographers Formulary carries it.
    You have to call them. They don't keep it in stock all the time. If there's demand they'll make up a batch.
    Jim

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Anyone know of any panthermic (not fussy about temperature) B&W film developers
    777 is quite fussy about temperature. Also about agitation. By 'panthermic' is meant that it can be used effectively over a wide range of temperatures (60-80 deg. F, at least), not that its effects won't vary quite a bit with even a small temperature change.
    Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Someone else beat me to the punch first. Panthermic in this sense is markettd to mean it produces similar visual results over a wide range of temperatures. It does need it's time varied to suit the temperature it is used at though.

I use one that is a home brew. Not necessarily true to the original, but I like how it works and looks like.

I only use it when I am in a phase of regularly shooting and processing at least a few new films every week. It needs to be fed regualrly to keep it's activity in line. It works best as a replenished developer.

The one I use also needs to be used above 72F to be said to be panthermic, because the glycin poops out at lower than that.

I mix it per information on Harvey's 777 found at the unblinking eye site.

700mL very hot (50c+ distilled water) 7g metol, 7 g paraphenyldiamine, 70g sodium sulfite, 7 g glycin, water to 1L.

I mix it 2L at a time, and feed one litre as replenisher into the other at a rate of 45mL per 80sq in.

I store 250mL of the overflow from the working solution to avoid the need to ripen the stuff the next time I mix from scratch.

Ripening is the act of fogging and then processing 2x 35mm 36 exposure films to let the bromide and iodide in them leach into the solution to provide it's restrianers before processing any 'real films' with a just mixed all fresh batch.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    35mm
    Well, since I don't have the developer I also don't have its instructions or info on
    it's behavior regarding temperature variance from the manufacturer.

There is a developer noted on the interweb as "Panthermic 777" which I presumed
    was the same thing and I also presumed was actually panthermic since that is its
    name but maybe it isn't. There is also a "Harvey's 777" noted which I think is
    what BPI calls their product but it's not noted on their web site so ...?

BTW, BPI has been quoted (in various forum posts by members of the forum, not
    by BPI directly) as saying that the formula in the Unblinking Eye article is nothing
    like their developer which they also say contains no glycin.

So, again -- I don't know. The Photographers Formulary 777 appears to be the
    Unblinking Eye formula based on the data on their site.

Also, as I understand it, the minimum quantity you can buy from BPI is 5 gallons
    which is significantly more than I want to buy to try it out.

So, for now I guess I'll stick with Diafine.

Shooter
    35mm
    Frugal Photo used to sell just single gallon bags, which is what the 5 gallon pack is. Just checked, looks like they no longer sell it. Also the Unblinking formula isn't the same as the packaged from BPI. I have no idea what is in the stuff the Formulary sells.
    Last edited by sage; 09-15-2011 at 03:01 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Well, since I don't have the developer I also don't have its instructions or info on
    it's behavior regarding temperature variance from the manufacturer.

There is a developer noted on the interweb as "Panthermic 777" which I presumed
    was the same thing and I also presumed was actually panthermic since that is its
    name but maybe it isn't. There is also a "Harvey's 777" noted which I think is
    what BPI calls their product but it's not noted on their web site so ...?

BTW, BPI has been quoted (in various forum posts by members of the forum, not
    by BPI directly) as saying that the formula in the Unblinking Eye article is nothing
    like their developer which they also say contains no glycin.

So, again -- I don't know. The Photographers Formulary 777 appears to be the
    Unblinking Eye formula based on the data on their site.

Also, as I understand it, the minimum quantity you can buy from BPI is 5 gallons
    which is significantly more than I want to buy to try it out.

So, for now I guess I'll stick with Diafine.
    What BPI sells is labelled Defender Panthermic 777, which was invented by Harold Harvey in the late 1930's. Hence the popular name "Harvey's 777". But it's the same developer no matter what you call it.
    Jim

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin