Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,888   Posts: 1,520,749   Online: 1106

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    This will probably become like the Buttle/Tuttle typo in "Brazil" where the entire bureaucracy will now become concerned with justifying the mistake rather than correcting it... I expect armed troops to bust into darkrooms any moment now.

Duncan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    On Saturday, I bought 100 grams of hydroquinone on Ebay from Adorama, and it's a Formulary product. Yesterday I got an email saying it had been processed for shipment. I think the Formulary has a lot of good products, I just don't feel like filling out forms or sending photo ID if I don't have to.
    Happiness is a load of bulk chemicals, a handful of recipes, a brick of film and a box of paper. - desertrat

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Now I'm starting to understand e-mails I was getting from Adorama. A couple of years ago I bought some formulary's hydroquinone from them. From time to time I'm getting e-mails from Adorama asking to answer customer questions about this product. Usually the question is how pure it is. I was rather puzzled by the question, because it's a photographic product sold by a photographic company. But now it's more clear where these questions originated from. The DEA should really fix their web site. Dopers are likely using their web site as a reference, and not being terribly bright, try to get the stuff wherever possible. With this mistake, the DEA are poisoning poor innocent drug addicts! :-)
    I think they should add some mercuric chloride to the list to "reduce" amount of confusion.
    Last edited by anikin; 09-19-2011 at 01:28 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    There are any number of common as well as specialty substances we use in the darkroom which might be utilized by dopers and drug labs. The DEA simply wants to keep track of how much goes where. If unusually large amts of a suspect chemical are being sold independent of those other chems which might typically be used in photography, they naturally are going to ask why. Dope is made from all kinds
    of things. In Holland they smoke vanadium salts and other heavy metals which might be used in alternative photo processes. A few people do it here (or did it here - can't imagine they live very long!).
    The DEA knows what it is doing. No big deal, and certainly no serious inconvience to anyone using these
    chemicals legitimately. None of us wants to see our distribution supply hampered or cut off by someone inadvertently selling something for illegal use. That's why this kind of information has to be collected.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Almost any material can be turned into a weapon, and as for drugs, you can get high drinking too much water. Do you really want to live in this kind of surveillance society, having to report so many purchases for the the sake of security theatre and a failed war on drugs?
    Nikon 35mm, Mamiya 645 & RB67, Leica IIIb, other bits and pieces

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We are apparently living in a society where a typographical error has the potential to inconvenience us all or even hurt us.

Hydroquinone is NOT Hydrocodone!

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    We are apparently living in a society where a typographical error has the potential to inconvenience us all or even hurt us.

Hydroquinone is NOT Hydrocodone!

PE
    It's like people whose names are on a no-fly list by accident; all part of the same mentality
    Nikon 35mm, Mamiya 645 & RB67, Leica IIIb, other bits and pieces

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Funny you should mention about the glassware and meth labs - I was reading somewhere that Anchor-Hocking changed the formulation of Pyrex for home grade measuring cups and such so that it would not withstand rapid temperature changes nearly as well as the old formula did - apparently meth making involves a lot of quenching liquids and such (i have no idea about the details. lol)
    "There is no such thing as objective reality in a photograph"

My flickr and (gasp!) dpug photos - take a look if you like.

Shooter
    Medium Format

remember the 1970s?

I am 50 now, worked in a Camera Store/Studio in Southwest Michigan in the 70s-80s.

Does not anyone here remember the supposed government spraying of farmers fields with Paraquat? At that time I heard on the radio that film developers such as Dektol and D-76 contained Hydroquinone, which could be used somehow to "detect" the presence of Paraquat, thus letting the "hippies" know if their pot had been contaminated. I remember the quote "check your pot for Paraquat".

We actually had a few people come in to the store that were not regular customers, only buying powdered developer for a week or two.

Craig Knapp
    Shooting with
    Franka Rolfix 6x9 (with Series VI filters)
    Franka Solida IIIE (by Certo 6)
    Kodak Retina IIIc with 3 Schneider Lenses (body repaired recently CLAd in Aukland Newzland)
    Bronica ETR-S System
    Omega 45D 4x5 system
    Complete Wet Darkroom with Beseler 45MCRX and 23CII

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nhemann View Post
    Funny you should mention about the glassware and meth labs - I was reading somewhere that Anchor-Hocking changed the formulation of Pyrex for home grade measuring cups and such so that it would not withstand rapid temperature changes nearly as well as the old formula did - apparently meth making involves a lot of quenching liquids and such (i have no idea about the details. lol)
    Pyrex was made by Dow Corning, but Anchor Hocking made a similar product. Corning did cheapen the formula of Pyrex kitchenware (not labware), but I think the above stated reason comes from drug addled conspiracy theories.

Corning changed the formula because common soda lime glass is cheaper to make than borosilicate glass, and the cheapened casserole dishes didn't explode in people's ovens...most of the time.
    Happiness is a load of bulk chemicals, a handful of recipes, a brick of film and a box of paper. - desertrat

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin