Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,729   Posts: 1,515,242   Online: 818

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    and I love Basil. So far my liver is OK!
    *Basil* is bad for you now? Wow, I plan to forget that piece of information immediately. If anyone ever finds out that tomatoes are dangerous, please don't tell me.

I stand corrected about the putative synthesis of safrole from HQ. Some of the (intentionally vague) online sources seemed to be suggesting that it could be done, but if that doesn't work I have absolutely no idea what reason our friends at the DEA would have for caring about the stuff.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Basil is pretty rough on the stomach, especially mixed with tomato, pesto, etc... in fact, I didn't sleep very well last nite for that very reason. Should've taken an antiacid pill first or eaten dinner earlier. But
    despite the complications of the above ingredients, I've never found a use for them in the darkroom. I
    have heard of tomato ketchup splatter images being "shrined" for resembling this or that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am NOT giving up my favorite Thai restaurant nor the dishes with basil in them.

Don't have a problem with the stomach either. Never heard it was bad for the liver and hope that's not true.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Basil contains Safrole.

You may want to look Safrole up on Wikipedia, as it gives you all of the spices it is found in.

BTW, I also use File Gumbo.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    But
    despite the complications of the above ingredients, I've never found a use for them in the darkroom.
    Some aromatic herbs (rosemary, mint, sage) are reported to work as developers. I don't know if anyone has tried basil, though. There was an "Edible Film Developers" thread a while ago that went way over my head, but I think PE suggested that the terpenes in various herbs might be usable developing agents.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Some young fellow recently had a show in SF in which he devised an interesting contact print technique onto vegetable matter requiring no developer whatsoever. But back to proscribed chems ... a handful of
    us sometimes use uranyl nitrate as a color dye mordant. The colloquial term for this is "yellowcake", being the ore from which it is derived. Most of you probably remember when Sadaam Hussein was accused of importing yellowcake from Nigeria. My own purchases of the chemical at 100g at a time aren't enough to cook a flea or even warrant a hazmat label during shipping. But if you imported seven
    or eight shiploads of the stuff you might be able to make a dirty bomb. This fact caused some consternation for a fellow in a different country, when their equivalent of the DEA got all worked up just over the terminology, to the exclusion of the practical quantities in question.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Nutmeg/mace are contain myristicin and elemicin, both being very 'useful' precursors for MMDA-type synthesis. DEA forms required at the supermarket next?
    - Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That is interesting. I chow down home-made caprese salad regularly (often a big one for an entire meal), and never had any stomach problems. In fact, it leaves me feeling great, which is why I eat it so much. I did not know it was a problem for some people.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nutmeg is hallucinogenic and can cause death in high enough quantities.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Does anyone remember "Mellow Yellow"? Some screwball pot-head thought that you could take the stringy fibrous stuff from the banana peel and dry it and smoke it. Eat the banana for nourishment and smoke the peel to get high.
    Michael Cienfuegos

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin