Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,565   Posts: 1,545,327   Online: 908

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Yup, that is some bad stuff. A group of pranksters fooled the city council of a town in California into starting a campaign to ban it in their city.
    Happiness is a load of bulk chemicals, a handful of recipes, a brick of film and a box of paper. - desertrat

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by desertrat View Post
    as long as they have picture ID, which is required for all adults
    Are US residents legally obliged to carry ID at all times?

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by desertrat View Post
    Poor choice of words on my part. I think 'photo ID' is the correct term. Non-drivers aren't discriminated against. (as long as they have picture ID, which is required for all adults)
    Required for all adults?

No it isn't. Common misconception. There are lots of specific things that may require it, but there is no requirement to have it per se.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Are US residents legally obliged to carry ID at all times?

Steve.
    No. Lots of people think so, but the answer is no.

I wrote the standard operating procedure manual for my hometown police department for my master's report on my internship in city management and pretty carefully researched that at the time.

That said, if you don't have it things can slow you down while the truth of who you say you are if asked (with cause) is verified, but it isn't a crime not to have it.

OTOH, except for those of us living in very large cities we pretty much drive anywhere we go so most of us do have it as a matter of course.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No Steve! However, many states issue Photo ID Driver's licenses. Also, many credit cards now include photos. The latter are optional, given on request. Some sates even issue special driver's licenses that verify that you are a US citizen. This is useful in states that border Canada as you can then cross the border without a passport.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Spot on PE. States DO issue photo IDs in lieu of driver licenses for those who don't drive, and anyone here who can't or doesn't drive would be nuts not to get one as there are so many things you must have one for (including buying alcohol or getting into many places that serve it, often even if you are clearly as old as Methuselah) but you certainly aren't legally required to get it, much less carry it.

Shooter
    35mm
    You are not required to carry identification in the USA. I rarely cary any ID unless I'm flying, working, shopping, or driving.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As I was a reserve officer in the military, Kodak advised me to carry no ID relating to that during international trips. Different reason here.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    You are not required to carry identification in the USA. I rarely cary any ID unless I'm flying, working, shopping, or driving.
    Which covers, personally, about 98% of the time when I'm out of the house past my own yard, but that might not be true for everyone.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My mom always used to call me a "vagrant" when I would leave the house with no money and no I.D.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin