Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,499   Posts: 1,543,154   Online: 1046

Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Hydroquinone a DEA listed chemical? I don't think so!

I recently ordered some chems from the Photographer's Formulary. I've used some of their chems before, but I previously got them elsewhere, like at Freestyle. I wanted to experiment with some new developers for X-ray film.

I ordered:

Catechol, 10g
    Glycin, 10g
    Hydroquinone, 100g

I just got an email from the person who handles their internet orders, telling me I needed to fill out their "DEA form" for the hydroquinone. Her instructions were very detailed. I needed to fill out the exact chemical recipe I was going to use the hydroquinone in, sign and date, provide all my personal information, and then attach a photocopy of my drivers license.

Now I happen to know that hydroquinone isn't a DEA list I chemical, a DEA list II chemical, or on any of their other "watched chemicals" lists. These lists can be viewed online. Hydroquinone isn't listed as requiring a DEA form in their bulk chemicals section, as some of their other chemicals are.

So I sent her an email back asking her to please cancel the entire order, as I can get these chems elsewhere without any such forms.

Well I guess I now gone and done it, because I don't know anywhere else I can get glycin. Well, I guess I don't need it that bad anyway.
    Happiness is a load of bulk chemicals, a handful of recipes, a brick of film and a box of paper. - desertrat

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hydrochloric acid...not hydroquinone. Must be a mix up.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Call the Formulary and talk to Sherry. I'm sure she can help you.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Probably got it confused with hydromorphinol or hydromorphone, which are schedule I or II narcotics, respectively.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    Probably got it confused with hydromorphinol or hydromorphone, which are schedule I or II narcotics, respectively.
    Doubtful, last I checked the Formulary doesn't stock narcotics

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Funny, but I got the same thing with Pot. Carbonate here in Australia. John fixed me up with some so I didn't have to go through the rigmarole with the forms. I noticed that Photogs Formulary will not send Pyrogallol overseas, but I ordered(and Received) two boxes of PMK from Digital Truth, which of course, includes Pyro. Must be OK if it's in a box!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tony lockerbie View Post
    Funny, but I got the same thing with Pot.
    Pretty sure that will get you on the DEA's watch list alright!

(Oh, you mean potassium...)
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - HST
    My Flickr Gallery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Call the Formulary and talk to Sherry. I'm sure she can help you.

PE
    Ditto. Did you ever call the place and ask if this was some sort of mistake? I've had nothing but good experiences with P.F. in terms of products and customer service. It is possible that the DEA has changed their regulations, and that is just something that we will have to deal with...but I highly doubt it. If tweakers were going to figure out how to make speed out of Hydroquinone, they would have figured it out a century ago, not in 2011.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have to say, I have never had to fill out any forms with PF even with all the junk I have ordered over the years.

As far as DEA regulations go, I sometimes wonder what part of the Paperwork Reduction Act the various branches of the government don't understand.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There's definitely issues shipping Hyrdroquinone, quite bizzarrely even chemistry with trace amounts can't be shipped through the Channel Tunnel (UK/France) but it can be carried by ship.

Ian

Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin