Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,561   Posts: 1,545,271   Online: 820

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

mg filters on camera?

Can mg filters be used on a lens in place of red filter. I cannnot at this time afford 77mm filters for my mf systems and wonder what I could achieve with mg filters I have for enlarging. Will they work at all? I have as hasseelblad and a rz67 so I want to get an adapter b60 to 77mm so my filters are standard but have no money to purchase filters at this time. Also are the cheap eBay filters going to hamper sharpness or resolution very much.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You could use them but they aren't as strong in effect as decent camera filters red. yellow, orange, red etc.

I'd look out for a setr of Cokin filters and holders, I use the P series on my Mamiya 645's and LF lenses and bought most second hand about 30 years ago.

Ian

Regina Canada (sounds more fun than it is)
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have used multi-grade darkroom filters for shots before (I am assuming that is what you mean) and while there is a noticeable effect, is not not nearly as pronounced as a good red or orange filter. Multi-grade filters tend to be more orangery-pink or purple than red and as such, do not work as well but they do provide some effect. The biggest problem I have had is dust and handling (i.e. fingerprints) when trying to use these filters. As well, anything you put between the lens and subject will hamper sharpness/resolution. Depending on your enlargement plans, it may or may not be a factor, with the more you enlarge, the more evident the loss of sharpness will be. I buy the best filters I can afford at the time so as to have the least negative effects as possible.
    Once a photographer is convinced that the camera can lie and that, strictly speaking, the vast majority of photographs are "camera lies," inasmuch as they tell only part of a story or tell it in a distorted form, half the battle is won. Once he has conceded that photography is not a "naturalistic" medium of rendition and that striving for "naturalism" in a photograph is futile, he can turn his attention to using a camera to make more effective pictures.

Andreas Feininger

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin