Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,924   Posts: 1,585,010   Online: 1037

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

And another darkroom enthusiast is born!!

Yesterday I had a flickr acquaintance over; he had expressed interest in learning how to develop his own B & W film. I did a demonstration of how to do it, and I had an extra tank and reel that I traded to him for a few rolls of film.

On his way home he picked up the required chemistry and late last night I got the following message from him:

"Well John, I did it! I have developed a roll of film! Holy cow it's easy! I can't get over how simple it is! I just processed a roll of Arista Premium 400 Professional... I'm just ecstatic about it! The roll came out great! I follow the directions for the developer (Kodak TMAX) which is 1+4... just fantastic! I will be scanning the images in tomorrow, as I just don't have the time tonight..
    Thank you so much John!
    I'm in your debt! "

Seeing the excitement of someone discovering the darkroom really brought a smile to my face
    Nikon 35mm, Mamiya 645 & RB67, Leica IIIb, other bits and pieces

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Yes, it really brings a smile to my face too. Sometimes when I meet people at the local shop, and explain things like how to develop a film, it's like I am back where I once started myself.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oh happy day!
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Love to hear that!

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Very very cool! Now I hope he has both the room and the small amount of dedication needed to pick up an enlarger and start printing. That's always been the real magic and art for me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Once he sees his first image appear in the developing tray, he'll be hooked. Every one of my printing sessions begins with WOW!
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Great John!

Not only good to have another convert, it shows a positive side of collecting (which so often has negative connotations)... When you have darkroom stuff you don't actually need you can pass it along when someone else needs it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Yes it's great to see equipment used, instead of just gathering dust!
    Nikon 35mm, Mamiya 645 & RB67, Leica IIIb, other bits and pieces

Shooter
    Medium Format
    That is good news. The more people we get burning film, the longer it'll be available. Keep the demand for film up, every film head counts!

Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    35mm
    Only a couple of days ago I also demonstrated developing film to a friend of mine, who likes to take photos with her dSLR and was very curious about how is film developed. Unfortuately she didn't show any interest in using film herself, but I'm still glad that I got to spend enitre evening with her and also take some photos of her.
    I like my film stirred, not shaken.
    Flickr

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin