Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,690   Posts: 1,548,875   Online: 957

Shooter
    35mm RF

What would restraining do for D-76...is it the same as replenishing?

Are these processes different or are they the same? Currently I'm replenishing D-76 for Tri-X (and HP5+) and recently heard about restraining. Is it the same as replenishing or is it different. If different how does one restrain D-76?

With thanks for an amazing forum.

Michael

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not the same as replenishing. It means to restrain or hold back an active or over active developer. (Replenishing means to add new developing agent to exhausted developer as an economical alternative to making fresh developer.) I think restraining is done with bromide sometimes added to the mix. I'm sure there are other restrainers too. I think it is for less acutance (edge sharpness due to Mackie lines) and finer grain, but I'd have to look it up. Bump for you because I'm interested to hear what others more knowledgeable have to say.

Shooter
    Large Format
    NO!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Thanks John. You open an interesting question about how much restrainer builds up through the replenishment cycle(s).

The specifics - or as specific as I can be are this...I add .75 oz of D76R (now L76R) for each roll developed to the D76. Thats the process...in other words, when I develop 8 rolls in an 8 roll tank I pour the D76 back into its bottle and add 5-6 oz. of the replenisher to the bottle. I generally get between 90 and 100 rolls from a gallon of stock developer with replenishment.

Am I effectively restraining the developer...or some other/similar effect?

With thanks,

Michael

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by streetshot View Post
    Am I effectively restraining the developer...or some other/similar effect?
    Shoot two short rolls with some test shots of a target you make, including a step wedge, gray card, colour chart, and some colourful items that you can set aside. Use very repeatable lighting, such as high noon outdoors, or flash with fresh batteries, waiting double the recycle time between flashes, or incandescent light, either one at an accurately measured distance. Include a note in the shot saying whether it is roll #1 or #2.

Develop one roll at the beginning of a batch. Run your 90 or so rolls through and develop the second roll as the last one.

Compare, perhaps by printing the two (35mm?) strips side by side in a 6x7 negative carrier onto the same piece of paper.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ideally, a fresh developer should equal a seasoned developer. This is why in color you add a "starter" to make this outcome take place. In B&W, the seasoning effect is much less pronounced and the build up in halides in the developer have far less impact on the resulting image.

Generally though, Iodide salts and Bromide salts are restrainers and also can repress edge effects. Included in this list are PMT (Phenyl Mercapto Tetrazole) and BTAZ (Benzotriazole). There are many many more. The initial effect is lower fog, then lower speed and contrast.

PE

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin