Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,197   Posts: 1,531,425   Online: 814

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Time to mix another batch of Xtol

I first tried Xtol 6 months ago and I've used up the batch. My method was to reserve 3 liters for replenishment and have a 2 liter working solution. The 3 liters of replenisher is gone and what's left is the 2 liter of seasoned working solution. So do I dump the working solution and start completely fresh? Or do I just continue what I'm doing and use the whole 5 liters as replenisher? Or something in between? I like the look of seasoned Xtol and hate to re-season a new batch. Maybe a good compromise is to figure out the minimal amount of used developer to have a good seasoned look for a 2 liter bottle? Are there APUGers that faced the same situation?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just leep replenishing with the next batch, it'll be getting sufficient turnover to stay good for many more months.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey thanks Ian. So you mean use the whole 5 liter batch for replenishment?
    Best,
    Don

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes it should last you a good year at least.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Just leep replenishing with the next batch, it'll be getting sufficient turnover to stay good for many more months.

Ian
    Yes, what he said.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is a poster here (Maris ?)-apologies if wrong,who has been using a 2 litre batch of replenished XTOL for YEARS.
    Check the threads on this - they stretch for miles..
    And, if you have to start with fresh, just pull back a bit on your developing time for the first 5-10 rolls and,Presto !,you are back in the loop.
    This is meant in the spirit of General Encouragement : you need to do your own research..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Thanks for the encouragement!

Quote Originally Posted by Smudger View Post
    This is meant in the spirit of General Encouragement : you need to do your own research..
    Thanks for the encouragement. I did do some research about using Xtol before mixing my first batch. Wow, didn't know Xtol could last that long. It's a hard developer to gage since it's always clear even when it poops out. I'm growing to love the stuff.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I am curious how you would characterize the improvement of seasoned Xtol over fresh.
    Also regarding the staying clear, I mix 5 liters and use it to exhaustion over a period of a couple of months by using the extended times method and I find the developer gets quite a layer of grey muck that lays on the bottom until I stir the developer to use it and then the developer is an opaque grey color... which doesn't seem to bother anything.
    Dennis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Seasoned Xtol (replenished) has all the sest benefits of using FS Xtol, speed, fine grain etc aith the acutance and better tonality that you get with dilute Xtol (about 1+2). The adavantages of replenishment over using to exhaustion are better consistency, dev times stay the same.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    While on the subject of replenishment would there be any problem if using expired Xtol? My last batch expired May 2010 and I'm on my third week replenishing the dev batch. Would there be problem if I mix the expired in there?
    On a side note i'm impressed with the negs I get with (expired) HP5+. They literaly "shine".
    My portfolio (film mostly):
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tsts/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin