Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,743   Online: 812

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Ah, the well-known Phantom of the Opera effect...

Yep, looks like scan posterization. If that's it then turn off IR cleaning (ICE) and increase bit depth.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Adamson View Post
    This time I noticed the fix seemed to take longer.....maybe 3 minutes or more for the scrap. But it did ultimately clear, so I wasn't too worried about it.
    If film strength fix is taking 3 minutes to clear bw film, it is seriously fu**ed. And then only add just two minutes? Though could be a bad scan.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

What does the negative look like?

Do you see the posterization in the actual negative? I've never seen anything like that out of Rodinal or any other developer. I'm inclined to believe it's the scan. If you can't see the posterization in the negative on a light box with the loupe, it has to be the scan.

Shooter
    35mm
    Everyone: thank you so much for taking the time to reply.

Matt, though I didn't mention it specifically, I did actually agitate for about a minute at the start, as I always do. Here, from the last time I did this, are more details on the protocol, as well as the result I was expecting:

http://no-exif.com/2011/09/15/neopan...hed-two-stops/

Using the metal tank did indeed mean I was using less of the chemical. But at 1:25, that means I went from an absolute amount of 16 ml to 12 ml, so I wouldn't think that could be the difference with Rodinal, which works in stand protocols with 5 ml developer in 500 ml total volume.

Regarding the scan, I forgot to mention that I did indeed examine the negatives very carefully with a loupe, and I can easily see the "posterization" edges, so it's not the scan.

Based on all the information I'm getting here, I'm leaning toward this: my fixer was marginal, I didn't fix long enough or agitate well, and in combination with the decreased access space in the metal reels, that killed it for me.

More experiments on the near horizon should support or refute this.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    it´s the spark plug!
    vive la resistance!

Shooter
    35mm
    LOL

Well, here's the first scan from the roll developed today. I guess it's probably the fix, because that's the only thing I changed here.....I didn't have the benefit, when I developed this roll this morning, of this thread, so I was still being kind of sloppy about the timing and agitation of the fix. But with fresh fix, I guess I can get away with it (not that I'll be trying that! From here on out I will be more careful with my fixing procedure). This was a different film (Ilford FP4), so it's still formally possible it was an issue with the film, but that seems doubtful.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When fixing film, I treat it like developer for agitation. Thirty seconds initial followed with 5 seconds agitation every 30 seconds. I use TF-4 fix, and it clears most films in under one minute, even still I use a minimum of three minutes. Tabular grain films get at least six minutes in the fix.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks, Rick. I shall definitely follow a similar procedure henceforth.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Todd,
    welcome...I recognize you from FM.
    You have come to right place for analog.
    While there are a few knobends around here you'll find this place quite respectful and most certainly helpful (not that FM isn't, just quite a few more tossers)

Let me make a recommendation considering you seem new to film.

Get in the habit of consistency in your processes NOW.
    You will find good technique in the darkroom (like anywhere else)will come as second nature if you drill it into yourself at this fresh stage.

Shooter
    35mm
    Heya Bruce, nice to see you here!

LOL at "tossers." I actually got a fair amount of amusement out of some of those over at that other place, but eventually left for other reasons. Haven't looked in there in...oh, I guess maybe a year now. In addition to film, I am also shooting a lot with Pentax lately, so there's not really a "club" I can join for that over there.

I appreciate the advice, and it makes a lot of sense. To be honest, I'm fairly methodical in a lot of things (comes from being a biochemist), and I have been very careful with my developing process....I time things very tightly and I record everything in a database I created for my iPad. However, for some reason, I just got in the mindset that once developing was done, I could relax a little, and I just never carried over the methodical part to my fixing. Obviously, now that I've been given cause to see it, that didn't make much sense.

I am indeed very new to analog. Having started with digital and stuck there for 7 years or so, I only last year decided to see what film was all about. At the outset, I was completely clueless, and never even considered developing my own film until I got some encouragement from a guy at the local shop. Glad he pushed me into it! I'm having a blast, but still obviously have much to learn.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin