Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,315   Posts: 1,536,693   Online: 941

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

A probelm with film

That darker strip on the right side is on the whole length of film. I used 540 ml of developer, agitation in the first minute and after that 10 sec every minute. Fixing in Ilford fixer with almost continuos agitation. Thank you for help and suggestions.

I posted one picture from the film in technical gallery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Actually I'm going to bet that the problem area on the negative is light, not dark.

Light areas in a negative print dark.

There are normally only two reasons for a lighter area on the negative. Exposure and development.

In your case I believe there was not enough developer in the tank.

With the lid off the tank and the reel in fill it with water until well covered. Pour that water back to your beaker and read the quantity, bet it's more than what you used.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What size tank? How many reels does it hold? Other possibility is that the reel moved during agitations and thus was too high in the tank; then, even if you had enough developer initially it wasn't enough to cover the reel when it was out of position. A rubber band can help the reel stay in position, or another empty reel if there is enough room for it.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Looks like not enough developer in the tank. The easy fix is to always fill the tank completely.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    From memory a Patterson tank needs 290ml per 35mm. I use 300 just to be sure, if you're shooting 120 - you'll need 2x that, so 600 to be safe. I agree it looks to be lack of development due to too little in the tank.

Experienced it once myself with 35mm in college - friend measured out the amounts and I ended up the lucky bunny who got the least because they ran out and thought "It'll be ok!" :O

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks for help. Film is 120, measured very safe value is 650, the same as for two 35mm films. I used numbers from the tank, but it was maybe for different size of filme, marked as 460 ml for 1x127. BTW this may be an innovative technique how to leveled bright sky in ladscapes. Thanks again.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Juraj Kovacik View Post
    Thanks for help. Film is 120, measured very safe value is 650, the same as for two 35mm films. I used numbers from the tank, but it was maybe for different size of filme, marked as 460 ml for 1x127. BTW this may be an innovative technique how to leveled bright sky in ladscapes. Thanks again.
    127 is a size half way between 120 and 35mm so will not quite cover 120. (120 is a bit over 6 cm high, 127 is a bit over 4.5 cm)

One thing to watch with the Paterson tanks (and some others) is that the reels can creep up. many tanks come with a little ring to hold the reel in place but that may have been lost over the years The super system 4 tanks also take a bit more developer than the older system 4 tanks..
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    thank you

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin