Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,760   Posts: 1,516,081   Online: 889

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    If you prefer the negatives produced by Diafine, by all means use it.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martiny View Post
    I have found that FP4+ rated at 250 gives very fine negatives in Diafine.
    I usually shoot FP4+ at 100 with diafine. It's my preferred portrait film/dev combo.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not to stray too far from the OP but any chance does anyone know the shelf life of Diafine once it is mixed up? I have some that is about 3 years old that is looking a little cloudy and has what appears to be particulate in the bottle of Sol B.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My last batch was 2 years old and had had 200+ rolls run thru it. I accidentally poured part A in the part B container and had to throw it out. But cloudiness and precipitations should not be a problem according to instructions and internet hearsay. I think it'll be fine.

Shooter
    35mm
    Mine is at least 2 years old and has tons of junk in the bottom. I try to use it gently so I disturb it as little as possible when I use it.
    f/22 and be there.

Images
    My current batch is also at least 2 years old. Solution A has turned green from using it on Foma 400, but that does not effect the other films that I use it on. My favorite film in Diafine is Eastman Double-X shot at 650. I get decent contrast with it even in low contrast lighting situations.
    -------------------------------
    Peter Schauss

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've used it in the past... And I've resurrected a batch that was nearly 6 years old or so by filtering both part A and B... It works well up unto a point. It's great until you start to want more from your film, and when your printing steps require you wanting more than the paper can give, or your enlarger or under the lens filters can deliver with the mediocre negs Diafine will give you. Sometimes, you will get great prints, others will frustrate you, and have you wondering why you did not learn an individual film/developer combination that you knew inside out, and that could be manipulated to deliver the negs you want for the way you want to print. Diafine is a compromise, and akin to rolling the dice. Sometimes it pays off, sometimes it won't.

My advice would be to stick with one film, one developer for at least a year, and learn ALL that there is about the various ways of exposure/development. I've been where most people have regarding Diafine. I used it for a while, tried it again, but found better ways in the end. If it works for you, then have at it.
    Please check out my website www.amoxomphotography.com and APUG Portfolio .....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    a bit offtopic. Has anyone compared diafine to divided D-23 or it's variants like stoeckler?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Usagi View Post
    a bit offtopic. Has anyone compared diafine to divided D-23 or it's variants like stoeckler?
    Good question.

I would also ask if someone compared Diafine to divided D-76? I used briefly the Vestal variant years (decades?) ago and was surprised by the good results I had with FP4 @ 200 ASA...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Obscura26 View Post
    Not to stray too far from the OP but any chance does anyone know the shelf life of Diafine once it is mixed up? I have some that is about 3 years old that is looking a little cloudy and has what appears to be particulate in the bottle of Sol B.
    Some one at Freestyle tod me to pitch it after 1.5 years but it will still work for twice that. Filter A and B every once and a while helps.

I love the stuff. #1 goto developer for years.

Lee

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin