Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,900   Posts: 1,584,401   Online: 754

Shooter
    Medium Format

Plain hypo fix for negatives?

So I just recently re-set-up my darkroom, and I have Sodium Thiosulphate and Sodium Sulfite.
    I was planning to use F-4 from photographer's formulary for my neg fix, but I'm still waiting on it to come in and getting antsy...

Has anyone used a Sodium Thiosulphate based fixer for negatives? I've read some on the forums of folks using tf-2 for Pyro negatives, but nothing else about using a Sodium Thiosulphate fix for negatives. Any success / failure stories, times, recipes, etc. would be welcome!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bob

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Isn't that for VDB prints though?
    I'd glanced through it once before and the promising-looking links are sadly broken...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Before the popularity of rapid fixers based on ammonium thiosulfate people routinely fixed film and papers using sodium thiosulfate. Ansel Adams gives the following formula for a plain hypo bath

warm water 750 ml
    Sodium thiosulfate 250 g
    Water to make 1 l

Fixing time is 5 to 10 minutes.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Since you also have sodium sulfite, you can add that to your plain hypo fixer and it should last longer. Plain hypo fixers deteriorate pretty fast, I believe. 30 grams of sodium sulfite added to the above recipe is similar to some old recipes in Photographic Facts and Formulas (1924).
    Happiness is a load of bulk chemicals, a handful of recipes, a brick of film and a box of paper. - desertrat

Shooter
    Medium Format
    That's so helpful! I thought it should work, I'd just only seen the AA fixer used with fibre paper and wasn't sure on times. Thanks!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thiosulphate plus sulphite is a good long lasting fixer. Have a look at:

http://www.heylloyd.com/technicl/plain.htm

The only issue might be that "new technology" films are supposed to fix better (or at least faster) in an ammonium thiosulphate fixer (i.e. "rapid fixer"). I don't know if rapid fixer is necessary.

One advantage of using a cheap fixer is that you can be a bit more generous in discarding used fixer before it causes damage (more of a problem with paper than film).

Shooter
    Large Format
    A sodium thiosulphate fixer works fine for film and paper. I used one for many years. I would caution that a plain 'hypo' leaves the surface of film quite soft and vulnerable to scratches. With proper care, this shouldn't be much of an issue.
    -30-

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin