Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,546,033   Online: 950

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: B&W positives.

Shooter
    Multi Format

B&W positives.

Is dr5 the only option for this? Are there any B&W positive films available?
    Bill

Pentax 645, Pentax 6X7MLU, and many Nikons-F2 Photomic F2AS FM2N N2000 N6000 N6006 Nikomat FTN

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've done a little bit of this, but not a lot. Check this out --

http://www.angelfire.com/wi/spqrspqr...wreversal.html

Any B&W film can be developed as a reversal, usually the true speed as a reversal is not the same as its box speed and you have to do some experimentation to figure it out. Dr5 may have good numbers on their website for that.

Jason

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Just out of curiosity...are you planning on projecting or something? I've pondered this myself, but never have tried but am curious as to your intentions.
    K.S. Klain

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Do a search for a thread headed 'Reversal Problems'. After the initial questions and answers there is some very good information from member 'Existing Light'. I followed his method and on my second attempt produced some fair B/W slides. My experiments have been on hold for a few months, but the important things I discovered were that a) Ilford FP4 that I used should be rated at 25ASA, b) though the process looks complicated, it's actually quite forgiving and c) it's worth investing in a small electronic balance (c.£20 in UK) and some cheap plastic vessels to mix up the numerous potions!
    Good luck,
    Steve

Geelong & Castlemaine, Victoria, Australia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    FOMA makes a B&W reversal film in 35mm: Fomapan R, as ISO100.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I've been playing with Kodak's 5360 Direct MP film (I've actually got the Estar version, which is 2360, and the prototype of the Estar version, which is SO-291) which is a film for making copy projection prints and comes in 1000 foot rolls. With another test or two, so I can show people what its capabilities are, I'll likely be selling off a few 100 foot rolls of it in the For Sale forum.

It's got an EI of something less than 1 (you read that right) which can make it even more useful, or a huge pain, depending on what you plan to do with it. Oh, and it's orthochromatic. But it develops with a normal develop/stop/fix/wash process, no trickiness required to make it into a reversal film, it is one by design.

http://www.kodak.com/US/plugins/acro...lab/h15360.pdf

Duncan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    dr5 does an awesome job, but it's somewhat costly and takes a couple weeks (in my experience). I'd recommend doing it yourself if you're into home processing. It's easy and a lot of people here can help out with the details; many great threads to boot. Any film will work.

I'm not a very experienced home processor and yet my first go at it turned out very pleasing.
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    http://www.schwarzweissdia.de/

The best results on B&W positiv I have ever seen. But he uses a pretty complex system.
    Fomapan R100 is then really good.

Best regards,

Роберт
    My favorite store: http://www.fotohuisrovo.nl

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Klainmeister View Post
    Just out of curiosity...are you planning on projecting or something? I've pondered this myself, but never have tried but am curious as to your intentions.
    No I don't plan on projecting. I would rather look at positives on the light table with loupe-looking at negs is boring.

And does anyone know where I can get Fomapan R? I've looked on the internet and cannot find any for sale. And does it have to be sent to a special lab to be processed?
    Bill

Pentax 645, Pentax 6X7MLU, and many Nikons-F2 Photomic F2AS FM2N N2000 N6000 N6006 Nikomat FTN

Shooter
    Multi Format

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin