Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,705   Posts: 1,482,749   Online: 964

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

What are these spots??

I scanned 2 rolls of film that I developed last night. It was a Kodak Tri-X and Ilford Delta 400, both are about a year past expiration date, but are cold stored since I had them. What I did was I developed them in stock Xtol for about 7 minutes and 10 seconds agitation every minute. After developing I washed them with water for about a minute, I did not use the stop bath that I have since in my previous sessions all I developed without it came out fine. Then Kodak fixer for ten minutes, after that I washed it again for 10 minutes and applied Photo Flo last. Only the Tri-X showed these spots. what could it be?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scan-110923-0002.jpg   Scan-110923-0004.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They look like bubbles on your film when you developed them. You need to tap your tank to dislodge bubbles when you pour in the developer. I could be wrong, but other APUGers can correct me if I'm wrong.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They look like air bubbles to me. Presoaking the film before development will help eliminate this problem as will tapping the edge of the tank as you pour the developer or prewet water into it..

PE

Shooter
    Large Format
    I agree. Soaking the film with tempered water for a minute before the developing step and rapping the tank after each agitation should prevent the problem.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I see. Will inverting the tank do the trick? In my past developing sessions I invert the quickly for like 10 seconds, but last night I just swirled it around.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sometimes in hard water areas air bubbles can be a real problem, they can occur at all stages and tapping and slightly more vigourous agitation may help, as may a pre-soak. However sometimes they can't be eliminated easily, it may be you need to use deionised/distilled water to make up your chemistry.

Developers are designed to cope with most tap water but there can still be problems. I did some visual testing 2 or 3 years ago and found that air bubbles can form at any time and they mainly stick at the edges, good agitation removes some but in my case (very hard & slightly salty water) a pre soak, tapping, inversion agitation wouldn't stop them. Some emulsions are more prone than others as well.

However as yours seem to be in the middle of the negatives your initial agitation is probably insufficient it should be continuous for at least the first 30 seconds.

You posted as I was writing and effectively confirmed my above comment

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 09-23-2011 at 02:56 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    In The Darkroom Cookbook, Steve Anchell states that wetting solution (Photo-Flo, etc) can be added to a developer to help prevent this sort of thing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BobD View Post
    In The Darkroom Cookbook, Steve Anchell states that wetting solution (Photo-Flo, etc) can be added to a developer to help prevent this sort of thing.
    Best as a last resort because you can easily cuase foaming which is in fact worse.

In my csae I wasn't using a commercial developer so I had to add a very small amount of wetting agent, again I did tests to see how much and it was surprising that a minute amount 2 drops of diluted agent was sufficient to entirely eliminate the problem.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Inversion agitation will not remove air bubbles as a general rule. Tapping or banging the tank will dislodge or loosen the bubbles much more effectively.

Addition of a surfactant or wetting agent to a developer is not suggested in any of the books that I trust. The reason is that the surfactant can actually cause more bubbles to form due to foaming action.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    After each agitation set you should rap the tank a few times on the hard surface to dislodge stuborn bubbles.

Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin