Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,848   Posts: 1,582,812   Online: 858

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Developer for Rollei Retro 100 and 400S

I've taken up developing b/w film again after many years of doing mostly colour photography. Trying a few different films I've found I like the Rollei Retro films nowadays. So far I've developed it in ID11 which I bought mostly out of habit, and because I used to use Ilford films a lot. I like the result, but it would be great to find something that I can store longer and mix in smaller quantities, as I only develop one film at a time, and only about one a month. I've been considering just buying a few and trying them out, but if someone would like to share their experiences with various developers in combination with these films it would be most helpful. I shoot mostly medium format so graininess isn't really an issue (although I do have my favourite pinhole for 35 mm too).

Shooter
    35mm
    If I am not mistaken, rollei retro 100 is agfa apx 100, so Rodinal is the best choise for it, plus it has all the caracteristics that you require.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rodinal and APX100 are a perfect combination, very fine grain, sharp and superb tonality.

Welcome to APUG BTW

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have been using Adonal (Rodinal) 1/100 stand developed for 45 minutes and it has been working well so far. Rollei Retro is a fairly contrasty film and stand developing does help to control it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Rodinal and APX100 are a perfect combination, very
    fine grain, sharp and superb tonality.

Welcome to APUG BTW

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhodes View Post
    If I am not mistaken, rollei retro 100 is agfa apx 100, so Rodinal is the best choise for it, plus it has all the caracteristics that you require.
    Exactly correct, and has been my experience, too.
    "Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes."

MY BLOG - www.reservedatalltimes.com
    YOU SHOULD LOOK AT THIS SITE - www.colincorneau.com
    INSTAGRAM: colincorneau

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'll try Rodinal then, thanks everyone for the advice. I've never tried stand developing, and I'm not sure I know what it is, so I'll read up on that, but I assume ordinary developing works fine too?

And thanks for the welcome! I've been browsing the forums and enjoyed the resource of information here.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, APX100 / Rollei Retro 100 and Rodinal 1+50 is very good. For the Rollei Retro 400S you can succesfully use HC-110 in dilution B or H (resp. 1+31 - 1+63). This Gevaert aviation film has extended Red sensitivity and has then a real iso rate around 250-320. The Rollei Retro 80S version (also from Gevaert and extended Red) is very nice in CG-512/RLS, an ultra fine grain type developer. The finest grain you can get with a cubical type film (except micro films). But then iso 40-50 only.

Greetz,

Роберт
    My favorite store: http://www.fotohuisrovo.nl

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes, normally most people uses 12 to 13m with rodinal 1:50 for apx 100, inverting a few times during the first minute and then 2 or 3 invertions each minute, etc. For low contrast, 20m at 1:100. Stand is just invert a few time and let the tank rest for a specific amount of time, no agitation/invertion. I use it for dev xp2 with rodinal, or for some "special" films (like microcopy films).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I use Rodinal (still have a small stash) 1:50 for 10min normal agitation. Any longer the shadows get blocked, and the highlights blown. This works no matter what film I'm using (process all in 1 go). Although with Rollei Ortho 25, I think I may have used Amaloco 74. Have a roll of 400s in the Rollei 3.5E, and trying the Ortho25 in the Nikon (worked perfectly before in the Rollei in the Rodinal method described above.

Good luck, I've switched to all Rollei too.
    If the lens doesn't read "ZEISS", then it just isn't.

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use Rodinal/Adonal 1:100 1 hour stand with both Films and I get good results.

Good Luck

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin