Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,472   Posts: 1,570,934   Online: 835

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Stephen, looking back on my first 100 prints, and they were 5x7, it made no difference whatsoever. They were all junk, it was a learning experience. If cost is an issue, save it where you can. Same thing for developer, get whats easy and cheap at first.

After a few hundred prints, you will have your feet wet, and everything will fall into place.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Well this is what I purchased to start with. Promaster VC RC 5"x7" 100 sheets for $19.99, and I went with Dektol for the developer. I figure at $24, I can afford to mess up for a while

Now I just need to get the room dark and set up my work area. Getting the room to were I want it will be a work in progress

Thanks everyone for your help

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Here's an update. I have used my darkroom a couple times now, and I still can't wipe the smile from my face. I still have some things on the way. I found a red filter (nos) and the boxed Ilford MG set for under the lens, (used E+) from the same seller on "the bay". I also purchased the Ilford EM10 exposure monitor, and a Paterson Micro Focus Finder (new). I'm finding the focus finder difficult to use. Is it because I'm using 5x7" paper? I still need to get some 8x10" paper. Once I do I will calibrate the EM10, as directed. I will post some of my results soon

P.S. I had been going back and forth over building a wet darkroom in my basement or a dry DR in my office and move that stuff out. I chose the Dry DR, because my basement gets water in it at times. Well good choice on my part. The other night we received 5 inches of rain in 2 hours! I awoke to 4" of water in my basement

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I guess your basement IS the perfect choice for a "wet" darkroom.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Tell me about it. I'm back in the house I grew up in because, I lost everything in a flood (58" raw sewerage!) in my basement apartment 15 years ago. Not to mention all of my Nikon gear F3HP, 4 lenses, flash etc. Plus 5,000 slides, and all the other things But it could always be worse, so I don't complain.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    stephen

hunt photo in melrose used to have traditional department.
    their store near me they still have a bunch of film and paper and developers &C,
    so i would guess they would too ... if they don't go to calumet in cambridge ma,
    or newtonville, or zeff, or ep levines ... they will all treat you right ...

good luck !
    john

I hit up that Hunt's all the time for short date specials and haggling over the over priced dusty "old" stuff.

I haven't been to Calumet or EPs in ages. Mostly because Waltham is more expensive in gas than shipping from Freestyle.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Prunier View Post
    I'm finding the focus finder difficult to use. Is it because I'm using 5x7" paper?
    Can you tell us more specifically what you find to be the problem? I usually do 5x7s and have never found the Paterson finder to give me a problem.

It will only work near the centre of the print. As you move it to the corners the area it shows become less and less but anywhere near the centre will be fine. Try focusing on a sharp line between a light and dark area in the print projection. You need to get the thin black sighting line in sharp focus for your eyes first. The top slides up and down for this. Then move the enlarger bellows until the grain "pops" into sharp focus and that's it.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    Can you tell us more specifically what you find to be the problem? I usually do 5x7s and have never found the Paterson finder to give me a problem.

It will only work near the centre of the print. As you move it to the corners the area it shows become less and less but anywhere near the centre will be fine. Try focusing on a sharp line between a light and dark area in the print projection. You need to get the thin black sighting line in sharp focus for your eyes first. The top slides up and down for this. Then move the enlarger bellows until the grain "pops" into sharp focus and that's it.

pentaxuser
    It's called "user error" LOL I don't think I was using it it correctly. I was looking through it like a microscope? I have now seen photos of it in use and the person was several inches away from it when they were looking through it. Would that be the correct way? The directions that came with it were kind of limited.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattxMosh View Post
    I hit up that Hunt's all the time for short date specials and haggling over the over priced dusty "old" stuff.

I haven't been to Calumet or EPs in ages. Mostly because Waltham is more expensive in gas than shipping from Freestyle.
    I use Freestyle, B&H etc. whenever I can for that exact reason. Plus I know they have what I want. I drive a Ford F250 4x4 = 10 mpg So even $6.95 s&h is cheaper for me. I hate driving to Hunt's only to see that they don't carry it, or there out of it. Not to mention having to hear the "wow you still use film? why?" Crap. It doesn't happen all the time, but it is annoying just the same. I understand how businesses have to operate to stay afloat and that's fine. I'll just shop and spend my money were I know, I'll find what I need.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Prunier View Post
    It's called "user error" LOL I don't think I was using it it correctly. I was looking through it like a microscope? I have now seen photos of it in use and the person was several inches away from it when they were looking through it. Would that be the correct way? .
    Well it might be but I have always used mine like a microscope as well without problems. Its magnification is such that the negative grain should be very obvious with trad 35mm film on a 5x7 projection. It will be a little less with Delta or TMax negs and less still with 120 Delta or TMax negs but there still should still be enough of the grain pattern to show.It is that grain that you need to be sharp.

Obviously set up the sighting line for whichever eye you normally use. It won't matter if both eyes are the same but a lot of people's eyes differ.

pentaxuser

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin