Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,197   Posts: 1,531,416   Online: 847

Shooter
    Multi Format

Film browning...how to deal with it?

I have several sheets of negatives that are beginning to brown. Let's just say I thought I was too cool to properly fix and wash when I first got started. Luckily, I don't consider many of these shots to be any good anymore, but I would like to save a few.

Is there any way to reverse or at least stop this damage? Short of scanning them in now (or printing them all) and discarding the negatives, what can I do?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Send a PM to Photo Engineer at this website. He was a Kodak film engineer for decades among other things.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Similar thing has happened to my negs, although I made sure to fix and wash properly.

Then discovered that the sleeves that I was storing them in, were affecting the negs - the emulsion was starting to "eat away" . A total downer as they were negs of some subjects that will be rather hard to repeat - re-washing was *the* absolute worst thing I did! One strip just peeled away and left me with tattered emulsion on the selected strip.

I always take care in the neg files I buy - these came from someone at college from memory - and every single one of those sheets was thrown into the bin and replaced by glassine neg files (or archival plastic ones) only. Of all the days to forget to bring neg files to college - I had to get those that were obviously *not* good for film storage.

Never seen anything like it before, and I hope to *never* see anything like it again!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    This happened to some of my 120 negs some time ago,like the OP I had not properly fixed them, and in my case they were negs I wanted to keep, I re-fixed them in fresh fixer, washed them, and never made that mistake again, and the negatives are still good today,
    Richard

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin