Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,732   Posts: 1,515,260   Online: 762

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Hi,
    As someone about to try Rodinal for the first time, one of its appealiing features is the much-mentioned long shelf life, but I'd like to know whether this refers to just full, unopened bottles or to half full bottles with a certain amount of air in them.
    I've sometimes ended up dumping old developer concentrate (usually Ilfosol, which deteriorates rapidly) but wondered whether there would be any mileage in opening a new bottle and decanting it into several smaller, airtight containers. This sort of thing isn't a problem for the pros and high-volume users, but for those of us who develop a couple of films a month, wastage and throwing away chemicals goes "against the grain" (sorry!)
    Any thoughts on the above?
    Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can prevent developers from going off by using Tetenal Protectan gas. A drop of ether will do the trick as well.
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Steve, it turns an ugly color but I have had a bottle that was over 6mo old that was fine and others here have noted much older. As a side note for those using Rodinal for the first time, it will also work as a nice paper developer, though not as economical as a paper developer. Used it one session at 1:10, using Ilford MGWT.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don;t worry about having black rodinal, it'll work as fresh.
    I found a bottle with a little in it in the back of one of my shelves (about 2yr old) and it worked fine, I mixed the left over with a new bottle.

Sometimes you can see a "sludge" at the bottom of the rodinal bottles, don;t worry about it. From my understandig Rodinal is a saturated solution of p-aminophenyl so having some of it settling shoulnd't be bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Roberts
    Hi,
    As someone about to try Rodinal for the first time, one of its appealiing features is the much-mentioned long shelf life, but I'd like to know whether this refers to just full, unopened bottles or to half full bottles with a certain amount of air in them.
    I've sometimes ended up dumping old developer concentrate (usually Ilfosol, which deteriorates rapidly) but wondered whether there would be any mileage in opening a new bottle and decanting it into several smaller, airtight containers. This sort of thing isn't a problem for the pros and high-volume users, but for those of us who develop a couple of films a month, wastage and throwing away chemicals goes "against the grain" (sorry!)
    Any thoughts on the above?
    Steve
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Rodinal IS the nectar of the Gods

There is a very misguided lab tech in my area who throws out Rodinal on a regular basis because it's turned black! I've tried time and again to tell him of the error of his ways, all to no avail...

Oh well, I guess you can't teach some people ANYTHING.

Rodinal IS the nectar of the Gods!
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm really glad that Joey asked about Rodinal. After all of the posts touting it, I have been thinking about giving it a go as well. The only real problem is that I can't find any in my city.
    As soon as I can get my hands on some, I'm going to try it.
    Max Power, he's the man who's name you'd love to touch! But you mustn't touch! His name sounds good in your ear, but when you say it, you mustn't fear! 'Cause his name can be said by anyone!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Roberts
    ...I'd like to know whether this refers to just full, unopened bottles or to half full bottles with a certain amount of air in them.
    Steve-

In my experience, it doesn't matter. I take out what I need and just re-cap the bottle. No squeezing air out, no adding inert gasses, no decanting into smaller bottles...just use the stuff and put the cap back on. My Rodinal progresses from virtually clear, to the color of Chablis, to the color of diet coke, to the color of espresso, all without a change in effectiveness. The only reason I put the cap on is to stop any chance of spillage.

Dave
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I like the tones and grain of Rodinal. It gives my negs the ability to say "PLING" when watching them on the light table.
    Furthermore it is easy to use because of the one-shot convinience and the easy mixing (it is not as thick and syrupish as HC-110).

The big deal....a matter of taste. I also use HC-110 and T-Max for faster films, and Rodinal for films lower than 200 (and Tri-X @ 320).

Greetings Morten

Shooter
    35mm RF
    There are two versions of Rodinal:
    - Calbe R09,a.k.a FOMA R09, seems to be the very original formula, my Foma bottle is actually black and I have not opened it.
    - Agfa Rodinal, a version from the 1950, slighly different dilutions between 1:25 and 1:100, comes almost colourless, will turn reddish brown and after some years darker brown. I guess the bottle in my kitchen was opened 5 years ago...

In an old issue of Leica Photographie 1950-1960 they compared Rodinal zu MQ and other developers and Rodinal was the only system which enabled the user change contrast with dilution without decrease in film speed or excessive developing times.
    Actually 1:100 gives a small increase in film speed, like 60 mins for HP5+ at 800.
    If I'm in a hurry I use 1:50.

Rodinal used on 35 mm gives good "sharpness" by the grain structure on a 18*24, grain size will be reasonable on film like FP4+ and fine on TMX and very fine on Efke 25/50 films. If enlarged larger, eg. 12 times one will find actually resolution is not very good as grain size has an influence on resolution of fine details.
    (When I did experiments with Brenzcatechine similar results: I had high sharpness at 6 times but at 12 times resolution was rather poor)

Rodinal 6 years and MacAllen 12 years serves film and photographer! Skol!
    Colour? We can always use an airbrush later...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Kollig
    Rodinal 6 years and MacAllen 12 years serves film and photographer! Skol!
    It is quite funny that almost everybody who appreciates Rodinal as film developer appreciates Whisk(e)y as a photographer developer

Dr. Kollig. Thanks for the good explanation on the different Rodinal versions.

Morten!

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin