Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,919   Posts: 1,556,422   Online: 1164

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101115 ... LastLast
    lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Rodinal is not a particularly good developer for small films, but it is satisfactory for sheet film. Its main virtues are long life and clean working.

What do you recommend for small films?

lee\c

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hansbeckert
    It's 'Rodinal', not 'Rodinol'.

Rodinal is not a particularly good developer for small films, but it is satisfactory for sheet film. Its main virtues are long life and clean working.
    What do you base that on Hans? I've developed Tri-X, Tmax-100, Pan-F, and a couple infra-red films in Rodinal, 35 mm size and 120 size. I never saw anything detrimental in using it, unless one has an aversion to some grain. But who was it that declared grain was bad?
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Thank god that's cleared up!

Well, as the saying goes: "Opinions are like body openings, everybody has at least one!"
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Rodinal is not a particularly good developer for small films, but it is satisfactory for sheet film.
    Tsk. Please tell that to Ralph Gibson and Sebastaio Salgado, who soup their 35mm negs in Rodinal to both artistic and technical acclaim.

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree, APX100 in Rodinal has no comparison (in 35mm or 120)
    Fuji ACROS in Rodinal is also great
    Quote Originally Posted by VoidoidRamone
    Personally, I disagree with that statement. APX100 in Rodinal (any dilution) is awesome. I even like the look of HP5+ in Rodinal. I just tried JandC 100 (120 size) in Rodinal (both 1:25 and 1:50) and it looks great too. -Grant
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Why not? It gives great sharpness...

Of course the grain is evident, but that is the charming side of Rodinal for me.

I use it for all my slow films (under 200 and Tri-X @ 320) in 35 mm.

Morten

Shooter
    Multi Format

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder ... and from iso 25 to 3200 Rodinal is what I be holding. It's beautiful to my eyes!!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by titrisol
    Fuji ACROS in Rodinal is also great
    How are you running the Acros? I haven't liked my Rodinal+Acros results, it's a prime reason why I keep Xtol around (which looks GREAT w/Acros, imo).

Personally, I'm with Gibson & Salgado and go for the Tri-X

(snap from http://www.botzilla.com/blog/archives/000343.html )

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lee

What do you recommend for small films?

lee\c
    In a side by side study where we secretly replaced famous fotographers Rodinal with W2D2+. 9 out of 10 famous fotographers thought the W2D2+ was significantly better in roll film formats.

Well, not really, but I prefer W2D2+ and my homebrew Buffaloe 777 developers for 135, 127, and 120 film formats. Rodinal is wonderful on 2x3, 3x4, and 4x5 Classic200. It is cheap, easy to use, and has great midtones. It does seem to fall asleep in the shadows. Maybe it's made in some Mediterranian country?

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Images
    Rodinal has poor efficiency (the speed achieved is low, meaning more exposure must be given) and severe graininess (because of the high alkalyinity). Paterson Acutol provides better shadow detail, better sharpness, and finer grain. There is really no comparison.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin