Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,951   Posts: 1,557,951   Online: 1034

Page 1 of 16 123456711 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Rodinol...what's the deal?

I've viewed a number of impressive photos who's creators proudly tout the wonders of Rodinol. Some contributors here are devoutly loyal to the stuff. I can't blame them. Once you find something that works well for your, you tend to stick with it...

So, please forgive my naivete, when I ask, "So what's the big deal?"

Now remember, I'm a greenhorn, who's yet to process his first roll in a tank. But as I eagerly look forward to that day, soon, I wonder, "Does a beginner like me start off using what some consider the Elixer of Life? (12 year old single malt Scotch, notwithstanding). Or, do I start with the lesser touted general purpose developers?
    Fixer scented Glade; for those that just can't leave the darkroom.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rodinal is very good stuff. However, do not use Glenlivet to dev a film as you'll never forgive yourself.
    Cheers
    Hans
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Joey,

Try this thread which is quite similar (I only know of it because I took part in the thread )

http://www.apug.org/forums/showthrea...hlight=rodinal

Any questions ask away there are many of us happy to talk about Rodinal and Scottish Single Malt Whiskey till the cows come home LOL

Tony

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I agree. Rodinal is very good stuff. It's a great dev for APX 100. Probably my favorite combo.

It's not the sharpest or most fine grain developer but it's worth using. Try it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The previous posters have said it all..Rodinal is not the latest or greatest. It is cheap (like me), last forever on the shelf (no comments) and does a very good job. D76 (ID11) is the developer that most are compared to, Xtol, Pyrocat-HD, PC-Tea, are others you will see a great deal of here. Read all you can, learn the basics (I still am) and enjoy...no darkroom needed to develop a roll of film, so do it.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks a bunch. I wish I was around in June for the thread TPPhotog linked up...It looks like Rodinol will probably be in my future...since I'm also known as CheapJoey..LOL...
    Fixer scented Glade; for those that just can't leave the darkroom.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Joey, The important thing is your here now and I LOVE RODINAL arrrrrrrrr. We have to warn you as we do with everyone though that Rodinal is A ... A ... Addictive Right I'm off to bed it's 2am here LOL night

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyk49
    I've viewed a number of impressive photos who's creators proudly tout the wonders of Rodinol. Some contributors here are devoutly loyal to the stuff. I can't blame them. Once you find something that works well for your, you tend to stick with it...

So, please forgive my naivete, when I ask, "So what's the big deal?"
    general purpose developers?
    I've used for a number of years, primarily in my 35mm days, but I still develop LF negatives in it, too. Rodinal, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways:

1) Real sharp grain, not fine, but sharp.
    2) Extrememly easy to mix and use
    3) Really easy to vary dilutions for various film's contrast curves (slower films, more contrast, more dilution; faster films lower contrast less dilution)
    4) Inexpensive
    5) Lasts forever in it's concentrate form in the bottle. I must have some over 10 years old and it's still great.
    6) Look at my gallery. All the night shots and the church interior are all Plus-X and Rodinal. I love the look of the negatives to this day. One of the rock abstracts is 5x7 EFKE ASA 25 film developed in Rodinal.

You really really can't go wrong using this developer.

-Mike

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I compare Rodinal to single malt Scotch. Well worth the purchase.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Large Format
    Article Appreciating Rodinal is good first step in use of Rodinal. Includes developing times for some popular films.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Page 1 of 16 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin