Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,755   Online: 826

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Standing development gives a completely different result, which sometimes works, and other times doesn't.
    Please, can you expand on what you consider to be a good result or not? Are there any other developers that you consider to be more suitable for stand development?
    In my hands, Rodinal works beautifully when diluted 1+200 and stand developed for 90' (agitation every 20') - always happy with the negatives I get.
    Just curious to hear you experience, Thomas!
    - You will develop when you become an analog photographer / Exposed Material / Monochromes

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Ed Buffaloe's article is fine. Has some good information.

You can mix Rodinal 1+100 if you want. You'll get pretty much the same results as 1+50, spent more time developing, and save 5ml of developer. If time is your priority, 1+100 will be a detriment. If money is your priority, 1+100 will gain you very little. It's up to you, really.
    What you can to at 1+100 dilution is to slow down your agitation pretty well, which gives you the ability to control the tone curve a little bit, and you can also get more shadow detail, because you're developing longer.

This article is profound: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum216/...-negative.html

- Thomas

you're the man thomas !

- john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by abeku View Post
    Please, can you expand on what you consider to be a good result or not? Are there any other developers that you consider to be more suitable for stand development?
    In my hands, Rodinal works beautifully when diluted 1+200 and stand developed for 90' (agitation every 20') - always happy with the negatives I get.
    Just curious to hear you experience, Thomas!
    What developer gives good results is completely subjective. So that's for you to decide; I can't do that for you.

And you have to make your negs fit the paper you use, if you want to get the best out of it all. That's the main thing. Whatever prints how you see things without frustration in the darkroom is a good solution.

'Better' is always your decision, and you find out by looking at the prints.

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are a few people out there who believe that Rodinal is a god-send, it is merely another tool that brings out a look that you either love or hate. Like any other developer, you must experiment to find the method of use for your personal tastes. You will also have to experiment with different films to find just the right combo that makes for your signature look. Using something the same way as someone else to try to get their outcome is a journey into frustration. I'm not telling you not to use Rodinal, but advising you to have an open mind and lots of note paper on hand so whatever process and combo "hits the mark" will be repeatable. That only gets you the negative, next we introduce an entirely new set of variables, paper choice. Whatever combo helps make the ideal negative may or may not look worth a dang on the paper of your choice, and frustrate you even more. Do not look for a magic bullet, be willing to do hard work to achieve perfection.

When you shoot a photo, you should know what paper you want to print on, and then choose the developer for the film to make that happen. Far to many people never give the paper a thought, only the film, then they rely on VC to pull off a mediocre print at best.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    35mm
    Welcome to the Rodinal Side!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    ...I recently got some more to give it another go but I'm not sure what I'd hope to get out of it that I don't get out of T-Max RS (my current standard.)...
    Perhaps, if you like it, a product that will be available after Kodak ceases to exist?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What developer gives good results is completely subjective. So that's for you to decide; I can't do that for you.
    I completely agree with what you´re saying, Thomas.

cheers!
    - You will develop when you become an analog photographer / Exposed Material / Monochromes

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Welcome, brother!

I agree with Thomas that df cardwells' article is very good. I also agree that Hot Rod is just a tool and there's a lot of things going on until you finally can hang that fine print on a wall. But I do have a special thing for it, especially with Tri-X.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Rodinal with Pan-F+ is, in my experience, a terrific combination.

As Thomas says so well, this is a flexible and useful tool. It's definitely unique, and if you can make it fit into what you find useful, it's hard to use anything else.
    "Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes."

MY BLOG - www.reservedatalltimes.com
    YOU SHOULD LOOK AT THIS SITE - www.colincorneau.com
    INSTAGRAM: colincorneau

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Got my first bottle in the mail today!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin