Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,220   Posts: 1,532,312   Online: 913

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We haven't heard much lately from the "High Priest" of the church of Rodinal. I hope Morten (modafoto) is okay .
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    Perhaps, if you like it, a product that will be available after Kodak ceases to exist?
    Well there might be that, but there's also Ilford DD-X and Freestyle's house brand "LMAX" claims to be a knock off of T-Max. Not sure what the magic juice is in the RS, though it is clearly a little different, but only a little. For most purposes I could get by fine with D76, or even self mixed D23. The exception might be pushing TMZ but if Kodak goes away that isn't a consideration either, and I'm sure DD-X would do fine for Delta 3200.

I didn't mean to knock Rodinal, really. Many people get fine results with it. I just meant to inject a dose of potential reality for someone apparently trying it for the first time not to expect miracles, or to assume they'll even like it. Certainly worth a try though. Heck, I know a lot more and have a lot more experience now than the last time I tried it so I got a bottle to have another go with it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Yep, the High Priest has gone missing, I hope he's not run off and joined the Church of Blazinal, or something.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerevan View Post
    Yep, the High Priest has gone missing, I hope he's not run off and joined the Church of Blazinal, or something.
    Ahahahhaha

At least there still are some shops here that sold rodinal with that name and not blazinal/adonal, etc in the bottle!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Pan F and Rodinal?!?! seems wrong to me... Rodinal is for Tr-x and HP5... I like two bath thin emulsion develpers for Pan F (old zone VI formula). Just my opinion....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by vpwphoto View Post
    Pan F and Rodinal?!?! seems wrong to me... Rodinal is for Tr-x and HP5... I like two bath thin emulsion develpers for Pan F (old zone VI formula). Just my opinion....
    What the heck is a "thin emulsion developer?" All modern films are thin emulsion films. Adox may be selling some from old enough formulae to actually be considered thick emulsion but I'm not even sure of that.

Rodinal is not a fine grain developer, and in the old days at least was often recommended for slow films like Panatomic X and Pan F, seldom for Tri-X and HP5. Some folks used to add sulphite to it for fast films.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    @ Roger... It's what I picked up right or wrong for Fred Picker who ran Zone VI... he is dead now so he is not able to defend himself..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    What the heck is a "thin emulsion developer?"
    Here you go..

http://greenspun.com/bboard/q-and-a-...?msg_id=009Eo5

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ok, he was using "thin emulsion" incorrectly, but that wasn't anything unusual for Fred. Tech Pan may have been "even thinner" but all modern films are thin emulsion, see Ansel Adams' The Negative for numerous references to negs shot "on the old thick emulsion" film and such.

What he meant was an ultra-soft working developer. Films like Tech Pan were originally meant for copying line art, very high contrast. The grain size is much more even than in conventional films, and this tends to result in a given light level either affecting all the grains or none of the grains = very high contrast, not a problem for line art and in fact wanted, but not what you want for pictorial applications. I recall the article in the old Pop Photo in, I believe, the late 70s when someone finally worked out a developer that worked well for Tech Pan at normal contrast, after many had tried. It caught on enough that Kodak came out with their own Tech Pan developer.

Pan F really isn't anything like those films. It's more like old Kodak Panatomic-X. I think it tends to be contrastier but I haven't used either in more than 15 years and didn't use much back then. I do have a couple of rolls of newly acquired 120 Pan F in the fridge now to try out.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I believe in XTOL and Rollo Pyro so I will not be attending your services.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin