Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,338   Posts: 1,537,690   Online: 873

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Rodinal and PyroCat-HD, nectar of the gods.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I am in the church of no silver bullets. Sure, Rodinal is great for some purposes. So is a bunch of other stuff.

However, your content and composition matters 100x more than any particular photochemistry you might choose.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    Gainer's thoughts on photochemistry were to put it most politely rather quaint.
    I used one of his articles, and writings by others, as jump-off ideas to test for myself, not as gospel. I don't blindly subscribe to the technical ramblings of any photographers, which are often in conflict and lack any reasonable basis. Rodinal is not a true "high acutance" developer. It's in a middle ground between diluted solvent developers and high acutance developers. Rodinal is a fine developer with a distictive look and good acutance, but not the razor people assume it to be. Sorry. Then again, serves me right for getting involved in any kind of Rodinal discussion. Won't do that again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    I am in the church of no silver bullets. Sure, Rodinal is great for some purposes. So is a bunch of other stuff.

However, your content and composition matters 100x more than any particular photochemistry you might choose.
    This is well said. Rodinal is definitely a fine and viable product, but isn't exactly the rise and fall of good pictures.

An interesting exercise is to shoot the same scene with the same camera, same film, process in different developers, and then make prints. Some would be surprised by the differences. The important thing, however, is to know your materials well enough so that they are not an obstacle in your process, but rather something that is so well anchored in your vision that what you see in front of your lens when you take the picture, you can also see roughly what the resulting print will be like.
    To have that clarity of vision is like photographing on instinct, and it means you can leave all of the technical aspect out of your thought process, and you can simply react to the subject matter in front your lens. There's real freedom in that. It's what I strive for in my process, and you can do it with Rodinal, D76, Xtol, Microphen, DD-X, Pyrocat, etc... My own choices are replenished Xtol and some PMK Pyro.

But I also don't want to take anything away from the die-hard Rodinal fans out there. It's a wonderful tool, and if it's your opinion that it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, who's going to be able to say that you're wrong? Just continue to love it, use it, and make the wonderful prints that you want to make. If you believe it works, and you like the product, the results will probably be great too. That's what's important in the end anyway.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin