Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,197   Posts: 1,531,415   Online: 848

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Arista Edu / Fomapan 100 problem?

While on vacation in LA I stopped by Freestyle and picked up some film. Among it was some Tri X and Arista Edu / Fomapan 100, I shot a few rolls of each while down there.

Both of the Fomapan rolls have an odd line through the frame. The height of the line changes frame to frame and isn't always straight. The difference is fairly consistent and the line is visible, though not as much, between frames.

While I'd normally default to user error (developing, etc) on my end, a light leak, etc I can't think of anything that would cause this specific default due to how specific yet irregular it is. The issue is plainly visible on the negative so it isn't a scanning issue.

I have at least one more roll to develop but expect to see the same issue on it.

No issues with Tri-X or Acros shot on the same trip in that camera. All home developed.

Beyond an emulsion coating issue which seems unlikely, any idea what else could do this?

(The spots under the line are on the negative as well but aren't consistent frame to frame)
    Last edited by Brian Legge; 09-28-2011 at 12:12 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Are you using a squeegee or sponge to wipe the film to help speed drying? This appears to be a scratch. My daughters and I shoot loads of Arista EDU/Foma 100 and have never experienced any lines. Foma emulsion is a bit softer than others, and more susceptible to scratches. Is this a scan of the negative or print?
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    No sqeegee or touching of the film beyond putting it onto a reel and then hanging it.

The issue isn't a scratch. The negatives look distinctly darker where the line is.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've used Arista EDU ultra ASA 100 and 400 without a problem. The marks look like drying marks. Do you live in an area with hard water? Do you use photo flo or some type of drying aid?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I use photo flo and haven't had issues (beyond a bit of speckling similar to the dots under the line from time to time). This doesn't look like that though - the surface of the film looks clean. I'll try re-rinsing once I get home tonight as I agree that the scans look like that - its the negative itself which didn't look like a rinsing issue.

Again, I'm not trying to blame the film here. I've been very happy with it in the past. This is the first time I've hit issues with it in 35mm (in 120 I had scratches no matter what I did, what camera I used, etc). 35mm has been solid though.
    Last edited by Brian Legge; 09-28-2011 at 12:13 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just an odd thought, try refixing and washing. Do not put a lid on the tank, fill with normal amount of chemie and let it soak for a minute or two before washing. Don't ask why, just a thought. Final wash in distilled water.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Legge View Post
    This is the first time I've hit issues with it in 35mm (in 120 I had scratches no matter what I did, what camera I used, etc). 35mm has been solid though.
    I've had the same experience. Quite often the LF and MF films had drying marks on the emulsion side, regardless how I treated the film with deionized water and wetting agent. It didn't work to re-soak the film either, the marks were there to stay. When I started to use a squeegee, the problem disappeared. I've never had problems with the drying marks since then, nor do I get any scratches. Although, I've never had a problem with the 135-film.
    - You will develop when you become an analog photographer / Exposed Material / Monochromes

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Be careful of film squeegees. After using them, put them in a zip lock bag to keep them from drying out. Also, you might toss it after a couple of years because the black rubber stiffens and scratches your emulsion. I had the problem and now use a sponge for drying film. I want to go back to a squeegee because bit of sponge ends on my film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I hate to say it but fear it may be the film.
    I have a 100 fter from 09 in the freezer.
    I haven't noticed any issues with the old batch of T200 I shot and like it.

It seems these issues run in spurts and if Im not mistaken it's not the first time we've heard something similar.

I hope I'm wrong because I love the stuff.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    No luck re-rinsing. Whatever it is, its definitely in the emulsion. If I had more film from that batch I'd run some tests - developing without shooting, other cameras, but it looks like I shot everything I had down while on the trip.

Oh well. I suppose this is one point where photoshop will be useful; at least I can recover something out of it. I don't think I have anything stellar on the roll or I may be headed over to our hybrid sister site to learn a bit about digital negatives. In any case, I think I'll be retesting that Canon P again and avoiding Fomapan until I figure out more about what went wrong.

Frustrating. I loved the film in 120 but had so many issues with scratches in multiple camera bodies I swore never to use it again. I still love the look I get out of it but the fear of losing more frames makes me reluctant to shoot it - or at least buy from a batch made around the same time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin