Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,762   Posts: 1,516,169   Online: 989

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Starting point for ILFORD Delta 400 in XTOL 1+1 @ 1600 E.I ?

While acknowledging the usual provisos and the massive development chart et al. does anyone have a good starting point for Delta 400 in XTOL 1+1 using an exposure index of 1600 (Mamiya 7II negatives)? I'd have thought about 20 minutes @ 20ºC / 68ºF but on second thoughts this seems slightly long.

I'm using stainless steel tanks and reels (hand agitation).

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Why not start with 20 minutes and take it from there? The Massive Dev Chart's main purpose is to provide starting points.
    Last edited by MrclSchprs; 10-02-2011 at 12:56 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo

Shooter
    35mm
    Tom, the Kodak specs says 14.5 mins v MDC's 20 mins. This difference is so large that one of these is likely to be wrong, I would have thought.

Occasionally manufacturer's times are wrong. D3200 is a good example of this where the time for the next speed is better but I am suspicious about 20 mins as it's nearly 50% more.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kodak's times for this combination are in it's XTol datasheet (see page 7): http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe.../j109/j109.pdf
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Matt for pointing that out, I'd missed it.

Tom

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin