Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,878   Posts: 1,520,317   Online: 1206

Shooter
    35mm RF

D76 powder to working solution?

Hi,

I just bought my first packs of D76 powder developer. I understand the basic process involved in preparing it for development. You pour the whole pouch into a container and add the indicated amount of water to create the stock solution, which lasts six months and can be used to create the actual working solution at a ratio of one part solution, one part water. Easy enough.

My question is can working solution be created directly from a smaller amount of powder? Like, just enough to do two rolls?

Sometimes I go months without shooting (a problem, yes) and my thinking is that keeping the developer in powder form will help it last longer than if I just mix it all up into stock solution.

- Robert

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are multiple components in the powder that are NOT mixed. If you only mix some of the powder, you have no idea if what you have is even close to a proper mix.

Mix the stock with distilled water and store in air squeezed out 2 liter soda bottles, it will keep for almost a year.

Shoot more film.
    Bob

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-D659 View Post

Shoot more film.

Roger that. Thanks.

JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    The same question has been asked since Kodak started to sell it pre-packed in the late 1920's and the answer has always been "no".

But if you start to mix it yourself from raw chemicals you can make as much or as little as you need. But "shoot more film" is the best advice.
    J. Patric Dahlén

Shooter
    Large Format
    Another strategy to ensure fresh developer is to accumulate exposed films and delay mixing the developer until you have enough exposed films to consume the developing capacity of the kit within a few days.

Kodak shows D76 having a capacity of 4 rolls per quart (or liter) of stock solution, or 16 rolls per gallon (or 4 liters).

Kodak’s capacity notes for D76 at various concentrations is shown on page 7 here

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe...bs/j78/j78.pdf

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don't concern yourself with shelf life. Just shoot and develope until it's all used up. I store my D-76 in 250ml bottles, and keep them tightly capped, they last far longer than 6 months. I used to use D-76 replenished when I shot more, it lasts a very long time that way.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I wouldn't hesitate doing the partial bag mix with Dektol... negatives don'l offer a easy do-over.
    That being said you could be a pioneer here in offering some evidence on doing a partial bag mix.
    I do not see why it would be out of the question if you mixed the bag up good then perhaps spooned out of the bag what you needed onto a scale of something.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JPD View Post
    The same question has been asked since Kodak started to sell it pre-packed in the late 1920's and the answer has always been "no".
    Absolutely correct.

Developer is cheap, film is expensive.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bessa_L_R3a View Post
    Sometimes I go months without shooting (a problem, yes)
    Consider using HC-110, the concentrate lasts for years. It is perfect for your situation. Just dilute the concentrate directly just before use. It produces negatives similar to D-76. Many dilute it 1+49 which is very convenient. Use a small 10 or 25 ml graduate. Use developing times for dilution E.

Check this site for good information on this developer. www.covingtoninnovations.com/hc110
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 10-03-2011 at 04:55 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Every company that makes powdered developers tells you not to mix partials.

There's a good reason...
    The various chemicals don't distribute evenly through the package contents, so using half of it will not get half of each component.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin