Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,222   Online: 857

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: rollei R3

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Just got word that in the US market Rollei USA will be carrying the film also-which somehow makes sense.Although sheet film will be coming out after 35mm and roll film.
    "An object never performs the same function as its name or its image"-Rene Magritte

"An image of a dog does not bite"-William James applied to photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good question, only one way to know

We'll have to sacrifice a roll to the gods of development and the altar of diafine

Quote Originally Posted by Andre R. de Avillez
    this film gets more and more interesting the more I hear about it.

I wonder how Rollei R3 (and for that matter, it's cousin Maco Cube) would perform in Diafine...
    Mama took my APX away.....

Images
    I get a bit nervous when I hear about "one speed fits all" films. Even with two developers, there must be an optimum exposure/dev time for the best shadow to highlight range and the rest is just under/over exposing and over/under developing.
    I'm looking forward to a very interesting and informative R cubed thread on APUG when people start using and testing it in their own darkrooms.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Quote Originally Posted by Flotsam
    I get a bit nervous when I hear about "one speed fits all" films. Even with two developers, there must be an optimum exposure/dev time for the best shadow to highlight range and the rest is just under/over exposing and over/under developing.
    I'm looking forward to a very interesting and informative R cubed thread on APUG when people start using and testing it in their own darkrooms.
    EI 400 everything else is a push or pull.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    reading between the lines...
    This is a 3 emulsion film, but when using normal developers the speed will be between 200-400 (page8)
    Speed from 25 to 100 using dpeth developers and 100-6400 using finr grain compensating developers (page 7)
    Mama took my APX away.....

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jandc
    EI 400 everything else is a push or pull.
    Do you have any info or opinions on how well it responds to N+ and N- development?
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It feels like a film made to survive a dying film & chemicals production, kinda like an "after the catastrophe" last resort.
    It might be good for convenience, not unlike the multigrade papers.
    I wonder about the image quality though.
    After all, we stuck with film because of image quality. If we just wanted convenience we could have gone digital.
    T-Max, Delta, Tri-X, HP5+, Bergger, Efke...
    We choose based on image personallity, that's why we want them to survive not just to have something to throw in chemicals.

I also am not crazy about its loading/unloading requirements. Do we have to unload
    in the darkroom in total darkness?
    Should I buy three-four backs so I can shoot more than one 120 film or should I
    stay with 12 images or should I shoot then run to the darkroom and back?
    I don't get it.

First I thought it would be a good street/travelling/journalism film but the loading/unloading photo sensitivity made me think again.

A new film, with unique characteristics and new technology is always a very welcome surprise in this day and age, but what about image quality, grain, latitude, things that really matter?
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Quote Originally Posted by arigram
    I wonder about the image quality though.
    After all, we stuck with film because of image quality. If we just wanted convenience we could have gone digital.
    T-Max, Delta, Tri-X, HP5+, Bergger, Efke...
    We choose based on image personallity, that's why we want them to survive not just to have something to throw in chemicals.

A new film, with unique characteristics and new technology is always a very welcome surprise in this day and age, but what about image quality, grain, latitude, things that really matter?
    As they close on the TV News stories, "Only time will tell..."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't see why loading and unloading would be much different from Efke's R25 and R50, both of which have extended red sensitivity. In anycase, loading any 120 film in the sun is asking for trouble, and using your own shadow is common practice (at least for me).

rjr
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Andre,

It´s about the Polyester layer - just like the Kodak Estar base (or HIE). It works like a "light fibre pipe", taking the light in on the edges and leading it everywhere inside the film can, fogging the emulsion...

It might happen with rollfilm, too - Maco has had earlier problems with their backing papers, with a too light tension on the paper... sometimes it curled out and light could protude on the sides. Then the light pipe thing happens there...

The 35mm film comes in black cans, just like Agfa´s (Tura usually cuts Agfa-Film, so they might use the same cans and cartridges and the 120 film comes in a light tight box, too... a screw scap type, just like Agfa used to use many years ago.
    Tschüss,
    Roman

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin