Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,219   Posts: 1,532,249   Online: 800

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Kodak Polymax: information please

I have been given two unopened boxes of Kodak Polymax glossy FB.

Unable to find much information about this paper, so any tips from users would be appreciated.
    Warm tone or cold?
    Dektol or Ansco 130 for developing?
    Time in developer?

Thanks in advance,
    Lyn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Chances are it will not be good due to incorporated developer in it. Though, I have one box of 8x10 that still produces decent prints...so, mileage will vary.

Has a bluish cold tone in dektol so my choice was to warm it up a bit..
    Matt's Photo Site
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover". Auguste Rodin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    its a great paper !
    im souping some paper negatives made with it
    in both coffe ( bath 1 ) and ansco 130 ( bath 2 )

have fun !
    john
    im empty, good luck

K-G
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Make a first test with whatever developer you have. If an unexposed paper is pure white after processing you can continue. I bought a box at a paper sell-out some 10 - 15 years ago, and after developing it looked like a close-up, out-of-focus print of oatmeal porridge. Obviously to old !
    Better luck with yours !

Karl-Gustaf
    Karl-Gustaf Hellqvist

www.heliochroma.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I still have some 2003 expired Polymax II RC. It is foggy but I find if I do the bad practice of high exposure and short development (yanky panky) then I get good results. Actually, the fogging HELPS with highlights, it acts like a pre-flash, really works well for some pictures surprisingly.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Also be warned that the first piece of paper with the emulsion against the cardboard or plastic for a long time will likely react differently than that found in the middle of the pack.
    Test from the middle, rather than condemn the aper based on the results from the top sheet.

You will likely find the contrast range is lower than what it was when new. i.e it is no longer a 00-5,
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    35mm
    I've used quite old Polymax in the past with good results. It develops quickly, and to my eye it has a slight but definite cold tone.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I currently use a 500-sheet box of Polymax FB paper that was bought fresh about 2005 and stored in cool, dry conditions. It works as new. The image is quite cold in Dektol with the slight greenish cast that is only evident when viewed alongside an otherwise identical print that was given a short dip (3-4 minutes) in selenium toner.

Like all cold tone papers it doesn’t change color much in a direct toner (except to loose the slight greenish cast in selenium). But it tones nicely in bleach-redevelopment sepia. That can be subsequently toned in gold toner to produce reddish tones.

In Dektol it develops in the usual 2-3 minutes depending on the exposure. Polymax is capable of producing high contrast if wanted.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thank you, one and all. Have just got back to this site after a few days absence.

Thank you George Nova Scotia for the link, and many thanks to those who have some experience with the paper.

What a great resource is APUG!!!

Lyn

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin