Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,219   Online: 801

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Source for brown glass bottles Australia

I have bee looking for 1 US gallon or 4 litre brown or amber glass bottles in Australia. But not having much luck. Does anyone know of a supplier.
    Thanks
    Greg

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    If you can't find brown glass just store clear bottles in a dark place.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Lab suppliers would be your best bet. But expect to pay a lot more then our friends in the US!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have these, and they hold close to 3 litres. Any larger, they get a bit heavy.

http://www.plasdene.com.au/category/...at3/Winchester

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    There is a place in Hawthorn which sells empty brown glass bottles, but they are a lot smaller. This place sells all kinds of smelly aroma-type thingies. I can't remember their name but will try to find it. I'm thinking their largest size bottle is only maybe 500 ml though.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Go direct to the manufacturers; e.g. in Adelaide I've bought cases of 100mL glass bottles from Cospak. However! If you're storing developer I would recommend using several smaller bottles and if storing other chems (fix, bleach), the 4-5L LDPE water bottles from the supermarket should be fine. Plastic won't shatter when dropped and it doesn't matter if it's clear if it's in a dark cupboard.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    In Australia there used to be 1 gallon (imperial) brown bottles (=4.5L) used very commonly and there were uncoloured ones too. They had a standard screw thread and very good quality screw caps were available for them. They were used for chemicals and foodstuffs, like flavorings. The trouble is finding them. There are probably some under someone's house or in a shed somewhere.

If you don't mind uncoloured glass you can buy Schott lab bottles with excellent screw caps but the 5L one costs a lot (a real lot!). You could keep them in a dark cupboard as has been suggested.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    If the bottles have stipples on them, you'll have to fight the beetles for them...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-15117051

But I do split my developer stock solution (Ilford PQ Universal Developer) into smaller bottles to increase the keeping time. Otherwise it was oxidating on me before I could use up the 5 liter jug.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hello,
    I'm a chemist here in Germany. In our lab we always have empty bottles from different chemicals (solvents, acids,...). The empty bottles have to be disposed of. Try to contact a lab, maybe in the chemical institute of the university and ask for empty bottles. Of course they should be cleaned before use. The largest bottles we have are 2.5 liters, the most common size is 1 liter. Full 1 gal or 5 liter-bottles are quite heavy and not so easy to handle. I use the 2,5 liter size for paper developer and -fixer in 30 x 40 cm dishes.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by laser View Post
    If you can't find brown glass just store clear bottles in a dark place.
    Or cover them lighttight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin