Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,727   Posts: 1,515,114   Online: 1128

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Ilford Cooltone RC Paper - http://www.ilfordphoto.com/Webfiles/...7105619249.pdf

Lovely colour - develop it for 3+ minutes to get the coldest blacks

Martin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Aislabie View Post
    Ilford Cooltone RC Paper - http://www.ilfordphoto.com/Webfiles/...7105619249.pdf

Lovely colour - develop it for 3+ minutes to get the coldest blacks

Martin
    +1
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The already mentioned Kentmere Fineprint I do agree, especially developed in Dektol 1:2: there you will have your shade of blue, very slight.

Maarten

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by VaryaV View Post
    Greetings! I'm working on a new project with a different film, developer and paper then I have worked with in the past. I want something totally different and outside my normal comfort zone.

What I am looking for is a cold toned paper with a slight blue shift... but only 'slight'. I would like a Graded 4 paper look but not averse to using filters to get the look what I want.

What are some of your favorite cold toned papers?

Thanks.
    Hi,

Ilford Multigrade IV turns a very subtle blue (but it's difficult to notice except by comparison) when fully toned in selenium; I've used this to good effect in the past. Otherwise, if they still make it, Kentmere Bromide is/was a graded paper with a trad bromide emulsion.

Hth,
    kevs.
    testing...

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Fomabrom? I like it, despite the faffing about in semidarkness (needs red light).
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    35mm

Cold Toned Paper

Try using agfa and LPD developer(is still available)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kevs View Post
    Hi,

Ilford Multigrade IV turns a very subtle blue (but it's difficult to notice except by comparison) when fully toned in selenium; I've used this to good effect in the past. Otherwise, if they still make it, Kentmere Bromide is/was a graded paper with a trad bromide emulsion.

Hth,
    kevs.
    It's also a) only in RC, and b) only in sizes up to 11x14.

Hey Ilford, give us a cooltone FB to go with WTFB!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by iconimages View Post
    Try using agfa and LPD developer(is still available)
    I have tried all the papers listed but not this one which I will with this combo. I am really looking for something different and I will know it when I find it.

I don't generally use VC papers, only FB but yes, Ilford please give us a Cooltone FB preferably Graded paper.... pretty please...

I am still testing out films and developers so I won't get to the paper for another week or two but I will let you all know what I end up with. and I will probably go with a Gold Toner as well. Probably.
    Sourdough, salami and blue cheese... and 2 dogs drooling with such sad, sad eyes. ... they're working me... they know I'll cave!

APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by VaryaV View Post
    I have tried all the papers listed but not this one which I will with this combo. I am really looking for something different and I will know it when I find it.

I don't generally use VC papers, only FB but yes, Ilford please give us a Cooltone FB preferably Graded paper.... pretty please...

I am still testing out films and developers so I won't get to the paper for another week or two but I will let you all know what I end up with. and I will probably go with a Gold Toner as well. Probably.
    Not much market for graded papers anymore. I haven't used graded papers in years and unless someone comes out with one that's just outstandingly good or unique in some way I don't plan to do so. Modern VC papers are just so good there's no reason to stock multiple grades of the same paper and size, mess around with split development, and give up the advantages of burning different areas with different filters.

If you really must have graded, either the Slavich (which is supposed to be quite cold) or you might try Gallerie in selenium. The old Gallery cooled down nicely in selenium though it was mostly a move from warm/green to neutral. Modern Gallery is said to be closer to old Ilfobrom and I haven't tried it (or any Gallery since the late 80s.)

I can vouch for the combination of Adox MCC 110 and LPD being beautiful. I really, really like this combination, but it's probably more "cool neutral" than really cold. This is with LPD at the normal, neutral dilution (1+4 from the liquid concentrate or 1+2 from stock mixed from powder.) I haven't tried it with stronger dilutions for colder tone but may try that.

It does change color in selenium but I don't care for it. After five minutes at 1+19 in my trial it started to take on a purple cast I didn't like. So my display print on this combo was toned for three minutes, enough to give a slight improvement in the dark values without shifting the color to purple. My darkroom was pretty warm at the time though (a few weeks ago here in Georgia) and solution temperature was about 76F. You might adjust times accordingly.

But if you completely want to avoid toning this will at least give you a very beautiful, rich print with a "neutral-cool" tone.

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Slavich Unibrom is cold toned, cheap, a little thin, and does not require a red safelight, as indicated on the package. Amber lights work fine as with other papers (but check yours to be sure.).

Fomabrom is neutral, almost as cheap as Slavich, and also does not require a red safelight.

Graded papers may be used successfully with VC enlargers. Just use the all white light, "hard", or blue light settings.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin