Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,934   Posts: 1,557,036   Online: 1245

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Suggestions for Cold Toned Paper

Greetings! I'm working on a new project with a different film, developer and paper then I have worked with in the past. I want something totally different and outside my normal comfort zone.

What I am looking for is a cold toned paper with a slight blue shift... but only 'slight'. I would like a Graded 4 paper look but not averse to using filters to get the look what I want.

What are some of your favorite cold toned papers?

Thanks.
    Sourdough, salami and blue cheese... and 2 dogs drooling with such sad, sad eyes. ... they're working me... they know I'll cave!

APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think there is cool tone from Iford.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't know of any true cold toned FB papers left, unless there are some eastern European ones but I'm not very familiar with those. Agfa Brovira was one of the best graded neutral/cold papers in my opinion, but of course that's long gone. These papers were not really blue-black though, just neutral and would tend toward colder tones (blue-black or cool purple) in cold tone developers and with toning.

One thing you might want to try is gold toning on a neutral toned paper. That'll give you variable degrees of blue-black depending on the paper (use a neutral paper that tones well like Oriental VC FB for example). I think gold toning would result in blue-black tones on most neutral papers like Ilford MG IV etc. It's also a great archival treatment. There are also cold tone developers around which can cool neutral papers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Take a neutral toned developer, and dump in some benzotriazole restrainer.

It will shift things to cool in a hurry. Powerful stuff; a little goes a long way.

I mix it as a 1% solution, and add on the order of 15-20ml at a time to a litre of working strength paper developer.

Because it is a restrainer, development times and perhaps expsoure times will shift from the pre-BZT treatment.

Longer development times may also alter contrast, so a half a grade tweak may also be required.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    try Slavich...probably the coldest tone paper out there..
    Best, Peter
    website down for maintenance!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear VaryaV,

Try a box of Kentmere. It won't go to waste.

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Have you thought about toning? If you find a paper which comes close, gold toning should get you the rest of the way.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for all your suggestions and helpful tips. I have packs of both the Slavich and Kentmere will see how they work out. I was hoping to get the results without toning but I do have a bottle of gold on the shelf I can try that and Mike's suggestion and add a restrainer if at that point I am still searching.

Normally I work my subjects very dark and selenium toned, this time I want a light, cold, translucent look for my toys.

Just so you know, I'm tearing apart an oscilloscope and I am going to use part of the filament light to capture line workers. Will post the results after a few weeks of testing film and papers.

Thanks all!
    Sourdough, salami and blue cheese... and 2 dogs drooling with such sad, sad eyes. ... they're working me... they know I'll cave!

APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was just looking for something different from what I already have... y'all are good at keeping secrets...
    Last edited by VaryaV; 10-07-2011 at 06:12 AM. Click to view previous post history.

APUG Portfolio

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Kentmere (or most other papers) toned in Rollei Selenia Selenium Toner (different Formula to Kodak toner gives bluish tones) 1:2 dilution results in very cold deep blue blacks.

Dominik

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin