Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,338   Posts: 1,537,694   Online: 860

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well said.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Over the years I have used several dozen developers. Some of the ones that I liked are no longer made or their formulations have changed. I used Rodinal for several years. This was until the last bottle Rodinal didn't produce the same results with which I was familiar. From later information this occurred when Agfa changed their formula and cut down on the amount of developing agent and increased the amount of (cheaper) potassium hydroxide to compensate. Ah, the almighty bottom line. The present day rodinals all seem to have keeping problems, perhaps poor packaging. I have now stopped using anything except HC-110. It produces the results that I like and it keeps like the old Rodinal. So I now avoid the siren call and stick with what is tried and true for me. I find the arguments that developer A is better than developer B to be pointless. They seldom have any scientific basis. So pick something and stick with it. The search for the grail leads to madness.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 10-13-2011 at 05:15 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    ....Ah, the almighty bottom line........
    The accountants at Agfa (not the photo engineers) also removed the only expensive ingredient in Viradon toner (selenium).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    Over the years I have used several dozen developers. Some of the ones that I liked are no longer made or their formulations have changed. I used Rodinal for several years. This was until the last bottle Rodinal didn't produce the same results with which I was familiar. From later information this occurred when Agfa changed their formula and cut down on the amount of developing agent and increased the amount of (cheaper) potassium hydroxide to compensate. Ah, the almighty bottom line. The present day rodinals all seem to have keeping problems, perhaps poor packaging. I have now stopped using anything except HC-110. It produces the results that I like and it keeps like the old Rodinal. So I now avoid the siren call and stick with what is tried and true for me. I find the arguments that developer A is better than developer B to be pointless. They seldom have any scientific basis. So pick something and stick with it. The search for the grail leads to madness.
    If I'm not mistaken, Kodak has tinkered with the HC-110 formula over the years too. According to Anchell/Troop it even contained Catechol at some point. So even good old HC-110 has likely "evolved" (or devolved ) slightly over time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Last change of Agfa Rodinal was in 1991.
    My favorite store: http://www.fotohuisrovo.nl

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The presence of catechol in HC-110 has been discussed before. While it was listed at one time as an ingredient in HC-110 Replenisher (now defunct) it has never been proven that it was used in HC-110 itself.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm not sure how this could be confirmed or not anyway as it is a proprietary formula.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I know this is an old thread, and maybe a non-issue any longer, "BUT", I have found equal results with the following combinations: Ilford HP5+ w/Rodinal 1+100 stand developed @400 ISO for an hour. Kodak TRi_X, Rodinal 1+100 stand developed @400 ISO for an hour. I also did the same films and ISO tests with HC110. Those results were so close, there was no distinction. My surprise was that, all the photos grouped together, and I could not tell which film was which, neither could I determine what developer etc... was used.

Shooter
    35mm
    I get finer grain and more speed with HC-110 than Rodinal. I've used both but it looks like HC is much more versatile. I can also order with without ORMD limitations depending on local shipping regulations which makes keeping supplied a lot easier. Just my 2c worth.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin