Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,812   Posts: 1,581,555   Online: 956

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Tips on treating/drying old school emulsions

Hiya!

I'm getting ready to shoot Efke 50 and Adox 50 and I understand these emulsions are very soft. Normally I Photoflo and squeegee but I doubt that is the recommended process for these films. Can you Photoflo these films and just hang them to dry? will they streak?

What is the process some of you folks use for soft emulsion films?

Thanks

ps. oh, and I picked up some Hardener.
    Sourdough, salami and blue cheese... and 2 dogs drooling with such sad, sad eyes. ... they're working me... they know I'll cave!

APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    My take: hardening fixer, careful handling and I would use a spraybottle of distilled water and photo-flo. Others might disagree. First time I developed Efke 100, I was surprised by the "goo" in the leader and when I touched it, okay that was the emulsion sliding off...
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    First these aren't old school, in fact they were way ahead of their time - the first modern thin film emulsions

Treat with care but normally, keep all parts of the process cycle to a tightish temperature control +/- 1°C. I've used EFKE/Adox films since the early 1970's in all formats and in recent yerars they at least have some hardening, I've not had a problem in the past 20 years or so.

I haven't used a hardening fixer since the 1970's for any films and as long as you are careful these EFKE films shouldn't be a problem, use Photoflow as normal bt don't squeegee .

Usually issues with these emulsions are down to poor temerature control.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good enough and thank you both for the advice. I've heard about emulsions sliding off before.

And thanks for correcting me on these very modern films, Ian ...

How have you been anyway? Long time no see.

CHEERS!
    Last edited by VaryaV; 10-08-2011 at 05:09 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Sourdough, salami and blue cheese... and 2 dogs drooling with such sad, sad eyes. ... they're working me... they know I'll cave!

APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I've used a few rolls of Efke IR820 and just finished a box of Adox film - Treated them the same as I would with Ilford. i.e. Dev in D76 or 510-pyro, fix in Fotospeed FX30 or FX40, and a final wash with Ilfotol/Photoflo in distilled water. Having scratched a roll or two of PanF/FP4, I no longer squeegee any film or touch the wet emulsion.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use Ilford Rapid Fixer without hardener, Ilfotol and hang my film to dry and yet I still manage to ruin my Rollei 400S. My Ilford and Kodak are fine unless I have a really tough time loading the plastic reel. Might try steel instead for the 400S to see if gentler loading helps.
    Last edited by hpulley; 10-08-2011 at 04:59 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, I recently had to quit squeegeeing my film as I noticed I was getting long scratches on film. I thought it was the film holders but then I noticed I had a burr on the squeegee... no more. I thought the photoflo streaks would show in printing but they didn't.

Pulley I am just the opposite. I can't get the hang of plastic reels and find the stainless the easiest though I only like anymore, the kind with the 2 prongs on them as fool proof. I would like to get more but I don't know who makes them or where you can get them most places just show the standard clip-type.

I will be souping these in Rodinol. I bought it years ago and it has sat unopened on the shelf (sigh). I just shot a test roll of D100 in it as was astounded at the range of mid-tones. I pretty much use DDX for everything as I have had too many explosions with powdered chems...

APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    The best tips are outlined on the ADOX website:
    http://www.adox.de/english/FilmDevel...ing/Guide.html
    Distilled water for all stages and cleansing your tank, chemically, once in a while is the safest route.
    Personally, I don't squeegee stuff or hardening chem on any film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have the two prong Nikor reels but my 400S is unperforated so I can't put the prongs on the sprocket holes so it doesn't want to stay put... I guess I could try a reel with a clip like my 110 reels.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Harry, medium format or 135 are ok on plastic Jobo or Paterson, just the film front leading corners should be slightly cut/rounded @ lets say 45°

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin