Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,566   Posts: 1,545,396   Online: 1068

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    How about using a SS or plastic clip (used for hanging a whole roll of film to dry) and developing in a small tank (like a two-35mm roll developing tank). The other end of the clip could be on a short rod (or wood skewer or chopstick) that would keep the film suspended in the tank. Basically using the same method as 4x5 film in SS hangers.

Use several tanks dev -- stop -- fixer -- wash

Vaughn

PS -- Use just one tooth of the clip on a corner of the film
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by alipstadt View Post
    Nope. More like this. The slide mounts are akin to film holders and the slide viewer gets sealed up and painted flat black, replacing the viewing screen with your pinhole board. You load the slide viewer (taking the place of a spring back) with the emulsion forward, towards where the viewing screen was. You could get fancy and add one of these on top for a viewfinder, and glue one in place on the bottom so you can use a tripod. This is fun

Something like this is your dev tank.
    Very cool idea. That kind of slide viewer may be a little too big for what I have in mind. If what I've read is accurate a 20-25mm focal length would work, so a total camera depth of less than 2in should be possible. Still, that would be a fun project...one I might try later. Thanks for the dev tank link.
    pixel is a four letter word

Shooter
    35mm
    Wow, way more replies than I expected on this tonight. Thanks everyone. I need to sleep on this, and then google some stuff tomorrow. As always, there are so many different ways to skin a cat...or take pictures, whatever you enjoy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oh, I was expecting to take a hacksaw to it to shorten it as needed. The reason I would want square is so I could lay it down on a flat surface.

BTW, the other type of viewer was a common novelty viewer for cruise ships and vacation hotel memento photos decades ago. The film goes in without a holder and is left there permanently. Holding the white translucent side towards a light provides diffuse illumination for the slide, while a simple magnifying lens brings the image to viewable size. They were often marked with the logo of the hotel or cruise line as a souvenir. Not what you want.

[Oops, wrong link. Fixed. Scroll down to see an example of such a slide viewer.]
    Last edited by alipstadt; 10-10-2011 at 12:04 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    127 Format
    I would try to load the cut frames into a plastic developing reel. It should be easy enough to slide them into the grooves and run them around to the inside by their edges. Load them in like little train cars...
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by guitstik View Post
    Use positive printing paper instead of film. Way easier to cut and load using a safe light with less worry about scatching the emulsion when processing.
    I've never worked with positive paper, but I might give that a try. What can you do with a small (2x2 in or less) sheet?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    How about using a SS or plastic clip (used for hanging a whole roll of film to dry) and developing in a small tank (like a two-35mm roll developing tank). The other end of the clip could be on a short rod (or wood skewer or chopstick) that would keep the film suspended in the tank. Basically using the same method as 4x5 film in SS hangers.

Use several tanks dev -- stop -- fixer -- wash

Vaughn

PS -- Use just one tooth of the clip on a corner of the film
    That sounds like a nice little assembly line. If using a tank instead of a tray I thought about using a stainless steel paper clip in the last sprocket hole so I could easily submerge, hang (as you suggested), and agitate without touching the film. A second paper clip in the opposite corner may be needed if the film tends to float. Cheap, I know. Any downside to the versatile paper clip?

Shooter
    35mm
    Matt, I was suggesting that you pop them from the mounts when fixed, still wet, putting them back in fix, and then proceeding to washing/clear. You might use another storage tray, putting holes at the bottom of each section and using that as a dryer, perhaps coupled with a gentle airflow.
    You think the mounts would trap a few drops of developer and/or stop? I didn't consider that. Once they go through the fix for a few minutes, a couple drops of developer wouldn't do any damage though, especially if I quickly put the "naked" frame back in the fix for a minute...right? I could be wrong about that. I'm still fairly new to film development. So far I've been lucky that every roll turned out good or very good. No huge mistakes yet, so I haven't had any of those "never again" learning experiences.

Shooter
    35mm
    Oh, I was expecting to take a hacksaw to it to shorten it as needed. The reason I would want square is so I could lay it down on a flat surface.
    Of course, a hacksaw could make it the right size

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
    I would try to load the cut frames into a plastic developing reel. It should be easy enough to slide them into the grooves and run them around to the inside by their edges. Load them in like little train cars...
    I tried, and it doesn't work. Single frames easily fall out the side of the reel. I just tried again with strips of 5-6cm and they were possible although not terribly easy to load. Maybe I'll make a panoramic pinhole. That would require bigger mounts and of course bigger more conspicuous cameras though. Not ideal for this particular project but perhaps another one.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin