Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,701   Posts: 1,548,419   Online: 1040

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Up-swept HD curve

Efke IR820 has it in spades. Hurrell's film clearly had it. Older TXP apparently somewhat had it; current TXP in sheets may or may not still do it depending on who you ask.

Is there a film I can buy (I haven't tried R100/PL100 but the published curve is a lot straighter than for IR820) or processing technique that I can use to get a fairly long toe with a dramatic upsweep in the middle of the HD curve?

I've tried (semi-)stand development in Rodinal 1+100 and found that it gives the long toe but I also found that the compensation effect introduces significant shoulder so the highlights look quite dead. I want the curve to shoot up steeply as it goes through Zones VII-IX at least, without any apparently shouldering.

I can fake it easily by scanning, but obviously want to be able to do it with an all-analogue process.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    HC-110 has a reputation for producing an upswept curve, according to

http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/hc110/

Ryuji Suzuki suggested TMax400 for this sort of curve. Maybe this pair is worth a try. Maybe box speed and generous development, not with a highly dilute developer? Just guessing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Some complain about it but HC-110 gives an up-swept curve.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Interesting. I shall have to add a bottle to my next chemistry order.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Using higher concentrations of MQ/PQ developers tends to result in less speed and higher highlight contrast. That is what would generally be referred to as an upswept curve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Somewhere here on this site there is discussion about using TMax 100 (I think) exposed at 200 and pushed to 400 ISO in HC110 to emulate TXP 320's upswept curve (IIRC).

No promises - I haven't tried it myself, and my memory certainly isn't perfect.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It might have been Thomas Bertilsson. I seem to remember he was using a certain combination (perhaps TMY and HC110 or XTOL, can't remember for sure, or maybe it was even Acros exposed at 200). Try searching the threads.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks, Thomas. Do you have any examples where it shows the very sparkly highlights (example with IR820) instead of flat lighting, and/or an HD plot?

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If you're looking for an upswept curve from a panchromatic film that looks similar to IR820 I'm afraid you're just not gonna get it. Sure we can push films and overdevelop them but we're still not gonna get those glowing highlights you get with IR film, not to mention its very unique spectral sensitivity (vegetation goes white).

An upswept curve is something I've experimented with for quite a while. TMAX 400 pushed to 800 and developed in a speed increasing developer like Xtol 1:1 works ok, but lacks a bit too much shadow detail for me. Another combo that I've used to get a good upswept curve is Tri-x (TX, not TXP) in HC-110, especially pushed to EI 800.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin