Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,726   Posts: 1,515,059   Online: 1101

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Very interesting stuff, PE. Thanks for the input on this thread. So in say the FTD, there were people manually developing film over and over again at different temps, with different chemistry, for different gradients, etc etc? If we take one film testing example, say determining the recommended development time for 35mm Plux-X in a small tank at 68F for a given desired gradient, how many times would a specific test be repeated to generate data?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, Michael, substitute PTD for FTD in your post. FTD did routine standard tests - more or less release testing. PTD did the stress testing of the system and did the variations. They would test film in all developers at all combinations of time and temperature and in all equipment available. Totally different work in the two divisions.

One test was not enough, they were run multiple times and run through a statistical program to get variations and etc.. so we knew what to expect from both standard deviation of product and from errors by the customer.

PTD was by far the larger division when compared to the FTD.

At one time, the color processing labs were attached to the PTD. This was, I think, for quality assurance.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Wow, imagine the amount of processing going on. Over and over again, changing one variable at a time. Very interesting. This is exactly the kind of thing I think about when I do my film/developer tests. Trying to be thorough and get repeatable results takes a hell of a lot of time. Although at least the EK test force had well controlled facilities to make things much more efficient. I'm thinking for example about how much time I spend just getting the temperatures right and then trying to maintain them. Clearly in a Kodak research facility it would be easier to do high volume testing under controlled conditions.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Our sinks were larger than the common bathtub in some cases. They were double jacketed and insulated. They were powered by steam (yes steam and were they noisy when heating up) and by chilled water.

We had DW, DI and tap water piped to every darkroom along with nitrogen. We had a stockroom with literally thousands of chemicals and almost any type of equipment you can imagine.

PE

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    From Dry Plates to Ektachrome Film by C.E. Kenneth Mees
    also, C.E. Kenneth Mees, Pioneer of Industrial Research by T.H. James

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Our sinks were larger than the common bathtub in some cases. They were double jacketed and insulated. They were powered by steam (yes steam and were they noisy when heating up) and by chilled water.

We had DW, DI and tap water piped to every darkroom along with nitrogen. We had a stockroom with literally thousands of chemicals and almost any type of equipment you can imagine.

PE
    Incredible. An amazing place it must have been.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    And, for my first 20+ years there, we got all the film we could use + processing!!!!!! This encouraged us to become good photographers.

Much of the experimental film was also given away. I have many rolls of experiments here in black canisters and with just a number and process on it.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Times have certainly changed.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin