Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,476   Posts: 1,570,999   Online: 899

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Refrigerating loaded bulk film?

I'm considering going to bulk film and I'm wondering how you keep the film after loading it. Do you refrigerate it in the loader in say a plastic bag or remove the film and refrigerate it, or just load the whole thing into canisters to freeze. Just wondering.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For bulk 35mm I put the bulk film in a bulk loader and a zip lock freezer bag. Throw it in the frig tell I need some, when I do take it out have to let it warm to room temp. while still in the unopened freezer bag,to prevent condensation forming.
    I don't know if freezing is a good Idea if you are going to be taking it in and out to load film.When I freeze film its for at least a year or so other wise the regular fridge works fine.
    Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think with BW film, refrigeration is not critical. Keeping it in a cool, dry place is good. Color film, especially transparency film should be refrigerated or frozen so the color won't shift. Definitely store it in a plastic bag and bring to room temp before loading.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I load the 100 feet in one sitting and pop the cartridges into the fridge.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Good topic. I'm looking into this myself and so it's good to know.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Maincoonmaniac is correct:

For monochrome, unless you are not going to use the film* within a year you really do not need to refridgerate unless you live in the tropics. Keep film in a cool dry and dark area less than 20 degrees.
    If, as part of your housekeeping you habitually keep in the fridge use zip lock freezer bags and allow 48hours for product to come back up to temperature.

* The one exception to this is ultra high speed film such as DELTA 3200 or any Infra Red film or extended red film that really is best stored in the fridge.

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One problem with refrigerating film is condensation. That is why I never bother any more with BW film - it doesn't seem to need it. If you do try it, make sure the film really is SEALED inside those bags, otherwise you might find that instead of preserving your film for longer - you might actually scrap the whole batch as excess moisture will encourage mould growth and make the film stick to itself.

Er... so I've heard. From other people, obviously.
    Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I do the same as mike c. Put the loader in a zip lock bag and keep in the freezer. Don't worry about thawing and re-freezing several times. It won't hurt film; it's not meat.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!
    For all practical purposes, they've taken Kodak away.

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Its meat and drink to me!

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I'm in southern Florida so bagged and refrigerated is the way to go. I'll probably roll off as many canisters as I can and freeze those, then use what's in the stored loader first.

I want a new loader so would the cheap Lloyd be fine or should I go with the Arista? I'm not a heavy user.
    W.A. Crider

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin