Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,294   Posts: 1,535,548   Online: 1081

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

APUG Gallery BW Images Color Cast

Why some of the gallery bw images have blue color cast , some others have brown color cast ?
    I dont like blue ones , Kodak D76 , HC 110 , Tri X have a brown cast .
    Why is that ?

Umut

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Some posters here may scan in colour in order to faithfully recreate the image tones of their prints.

And some who post negative scans may cheat a bit in order to recreate the image tone they hope to get in their prints.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Some blue ones are cyanotypes and are really blue!

Toners will color them, my copper toned prints really are a brick red, my warmtone selenium goes a nice purple. If you convert them to monochrome then you aren't really showing what the print looks like.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    This is an interesting observation. I sense a shift to blue in the way my scans are on the monitor, yet I have a little Kodak dye-sub printer that produces tones that are correct (to my eye). I don't know anything about PS, or I guess something could be done about it. Or not.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Because a lot of us do not have our monitors calibrated?

And B&W prints can be cool, neutral, warm or any tone the photographer wants them to be if s/he has the ability to get those colors.

I scan prints if I can. And if I scan negs and reverse them, I try to make them the color the prints will eventually be -- and my carbon prints can be any color I want them to be...just a matter of picking which watercolors to use in making the "glop" (pigmented gelatin and sugar). Presently I am using lampblack and a little burnt sienna.
    Last edited by Vaughn; 10-12-2011 at 06:23 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Every monitor is calibrated different. You should see them on my work computers... horrendous!

(I'm talking about the color shifts of my own work)
    Sourdough, salami and blue cheese... and 2 dogs drooling with such sad, sad eyes. ... they're working me... they know I'll cave!

APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's why only a print or chrome on the light table/screen really counts
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Umut - I guess that's one of the problems with digital photography.

If we could see all the prints first hand, we'd be able to by-pass all the issues with scanning and monitor calibration. But alas, this is APUG and such topics are forbidden...
    Kirk

For up from the ashes, up from the ashes, grow the roses of success!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Like Vatya says it's the big differences in monitors, and as Vaughan says we don't all calibrate them.

This is a neutral step wedge so if it has a colour cast then your monitor is way off

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I scan my negs in colour because I can't figure out how to do a proper B&W scan with SilverScan. I don't photoshop them though.
    And the sign said, "long haired freaky people need not apply"

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin