Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,746   Posts: 1,515,665   Online: 790

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Acros 120?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    They're oblivious to pricing on film products that make up a tiny part of the small Fuji.ca operation. Reps are focused on paper sales to labs and flogging new dry printing systems. They own the roll photo paper market in Canada now that labs are all but cut off from Kodak products.
    Agreed but they're so lab centric they really don't want to help me with home use. Heck, I wouldn't even mind buying rolls, I cut down Kodak since it is unavailable cut now. I ran out of RA-4 paper one time, wanted to print that weekend and called around EVERYWHERE and could I get paper? No, I even offered to buy a roll from labs but it was no go. Come on, help a guy out! I just get the feeling they don't care about home use, just digital wet lab prints which is OK for them but not what I do.

I put orders into Henrys who still list Fuji paper but after a few months they contacted me and said they couldn't fulfil the order. Why??? Just makes no sense.

If I'm completely wrong and there are Fuji paper and chems available locally (TO or SW Ontario) for small quantity home use then please let me know where to get it. I'd love to be proved totally wrong here.

Off topic from Acros. Henrys price on Acros 120 is $4.49 not bad (their cheapest 120 film actually unless I'm mistaken) but sadly only available in the TO store. If I'm going to ship it (or drive 150km there and back and pay for gas) I might as well get it cheaper and faster from B&H (who will sell me cut Fuji CA paper too, or rolls of Kodak and Fuji).
    Last edited by hpulley; 10-19-2011 at 08:03 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    At Adorama Acros in 120 is by far the cheapest film at $2.69 a roll. It is the most expensive 4x5 film at 35.50 for 20 sheets. It really doesn't make much sense.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hpulley View Post
    Agreed but they're so lab centric they really don't want to help me with home use. Heck, I wouldn't even mind buying rolls, I cut down Kodak since it is unavailable cut now. I ran out of RA-4 paper one time, wanted to print that weekend and called around EVERYWHERE and could I get paper? No, I even offered to buy a roll from labs but it was no go. Come on, help a guy out! I just get the feeling they don't care about home use, just digital wet lab prints which is OK for them but not what I do.

I put orders into Henrys who still list Fuji paper but after a few months they contacted me and said they couldn't fulfil the order. Why??? Just makes no sense.

If I'm completely wrong and there are Fuji paper and chems available locally (TO or SW Ontario) for small quantity home use then please let me know where to get it. I'd love to be proved totally wrong here.

Off topic from Acros. Henrys price on Acros 120 is $4.49 not bad (their cheapest 120 film actually unless I'm mistaken) but sadly only available in the TO store. If I'm going to ship it (or drive 150km there and back and pay for gas) I might as well get it cheaper and faster from B&H (who will sell me cut Fuji CA paper too, or rolls of Kodak and Fuji).
    Fuji.ca is all but numb now to individual photographers--a situation that coincided with plummeting film sales here. They thinned their reps to a small crew that looks after what's left of commercial/lab customers. They own the paper market now and only appear interested in that and selling new equipment. Pricing is a real PITA. The less they stock and sell, the pricier it gets. Even consumer films are hard to find aside from what's stuffed into disposables. I'll ask my lab if they can get any clues about paper and film availability/pricing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by L Gebhardt View Post
    At Adorama Acros in 120 is by far the cheapest film at $2.69 a roll. It is the most expensive 4x5 film at 35.50 for 20 sheets. It really doesn't make much sense.
    I agree, it doesn't make sense, but I suppose there is a reason, maybe even a good one!

I shoot Acros in both 120 and 4x5, so I figure it evens out for me.

BTW, Adorama is out of the 120 right now, but the pricier 4x5 is in stock. That does make sense! The Adorama price matches B&H in 4x5, but Adorama is a good bit cheaper at 120. Of course, B&H has it in stock....

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by L Gebhardt View Post
    That could be a purely production problem with a production line well designed for 120 which gives lower cost than the production line for the 4x5.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I used to order it from Japan (when you could only get it as a Quickload here in the states) it was only a two part box and cost about the same (with exchange and shipping that is!) I guess that 3rd part to the box is really costly to create...ha ha.
    --------------------
    "Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it." -Paul Strand

www.glasskeyphoto.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Wonder if there is an after effect from the earthquake affecting their 120 production?
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmacd123 View Post
    Wonder if there is an after effect from the earthquake affecting their 120 production?
    I was speaking recently with some of the people at Glazer's in Seattle, and they indicated that the earthquake and tsunami had definitely impeded their suppliers.

And they sell large quantities of film, chemistry and paper - both black and white and colour.

To give you some sense of quantities, think case lots, and a wall of refrigerated areas similar to the dairy section in your typical supermarket.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Glazer's is a great place. I order my whole-plate film through them during the Ilford special order season.

Peter Gomena

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Glazer's has 10 sheets of 4x5 Acros listed at $40. That has to be a mistake since it's packaged in 20 sheets. It's also a little higher than the big places.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin